Good Movie to Show Middle Schoolers

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Peregrin5, May 29, 2012.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 29, 2012

I would like some suggestions on a movie to show Middle Schoolers in a Science Classroom. I don't really want documentary style.

We watched Contact earlier this year which was great because we talked about the clashes between science and religion and what life on other planets might mean for us.

I'm looking for either a science related movie, or even something related to young-adult life or the transition from middle school to high school (peer pressure, gang violence, abuse, etc.), because we're learning about all this in our Family Life units.

It does have to be PG though, because I don't really feel like getting permission slips out to all the parents, etc.

Any ideas?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 29, 2012

Why do you want to show a movie?

4. Ross

Ross Comrade

May 29, 2012

October Sky

The true story of high school student Homer Hickam growing up in the mining town of Coalwood, West Virginia. Seeing the Russian satellite Spuknik flying over his town had a profound effect on him. Studying advance math, chemistry, and engineering, he and several friends designed and launched their own rockets.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 29, 2012

We've covered all of the science curriculum, and the health curriculum will have been fully covered by tomorrow. The other cooperating teacher is merely doing games and preferred activity time. We've only shown one movie the entire year (during STAR testing), and the kids said they want to see one more before the year ends. (This is the last week of actual instruction, next week, they're doing promotion rehearsals, yearbook signings, and field trips.) I want to end them on something about science practice that they can think about or some movie that will help them think about the gravity of entering high school and the challenges they'll face.

We will definitely accompany the movie with a meaningful discussion, as we did with Contact.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 29, 2012

Ah! I remember this movie. It was awesome. Though whether or not my students will like it is hard to say.

7. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 29, 2012

How about Stand And Deliver? It's a math teacher, not science, but it still has the overall message of overcoming obstacles and making education a priority.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 29, 2012

I guess I feel like some sort of enrichment activity would be better, especially for students who have been misbehaving all year. A movie seems like too much of a reward for their inappropriate behaviors and attitudes.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 29, 2012

Seconded

10. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

May 29, 2012

I plan to show "Wall-E" to my Language Arts class after having an in-depth conversation about theme, but it would work for Science (recycling, conservation of natural resources, scientific advances in space travel/habitation, etc).

11. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 29, 2012

Some suggestions:

Science related:
    E.T.
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Wargames
    Super 8 (good movie, but rated PG-13)
    Mythbusters, Jeff Corwin, How It's Made, etc (all available to watch instantly on Netflix)

Coming of Age:
    The Outsiders
    The Karate Kid (just remember the original may have some objectionable language)
    Harry Potter movies
    Chronicles of Narnia

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 29, 2012

My students will be watching The Outsiders in about 3 weeks--after we finish our study of the novel. One other movie they watched this year was Remember the Titans. It served a dual purpose--a media piece for our Freedom unit, and source material for a character development essay.

13. Ross

Ross Comrade

May 29, 2012

You can never go wrong showing a movie or teaching about the space program! :)

14. glen

glen Companion

May 29, 2012

What about showing an episode of Numbers? There are learning activities available online that explain the math used in individual episodes.

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

May 29, 2012

There are lots of space related lessons that go with Apollo 13. PG rated but lots of swearing (mild words though).
    I've used Nim's Island because we teach volcanoes and oceanography.
    How to Eat Fried worms has a great anti bullying message.

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 29, 2012

When I was subbing last year, probably right around this time, in a science classroom, the students were watching that. They were 7/8 graders and loved it.

17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 29, 2012

I showed the "An inconvenient truth" in my geography class a couple of months ago. We did talk about global warming, and a lot of the causes before that.
    for this movie I created a guide for movie notes (questions they had to answer while watching the movie), and before it, we went I've greenhouse gases, etc. We stopped a lot of times so I could explain stuff, and it went very well.

I'm planning on showing them another movie next week, and I figured might as well make it global warming related because it keeps coming up (of course). Netflix has a lot of movie I can stream, I watched '6 degrees' (I think that's the title), and sounded good. If I don't find a better one, I'm showing that, the same way I did the other one (notes, tie to previously covered material, etc)

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 29, 2012

Did you cover the arguments AGAINST many of the points in 'An Inconvenient Truth'? Not really the most unbiased movie one could show. :2cents:

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 29, 2012

Actually I didn't :) I only focused on what was said. My kids, as much school as they have missed, probably never really heard all the possible causes of global warming. I like this movie, it explains everything real well, in my opinion. I know it's controversial, and biased, but I was saving those points for another day.

20. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 30, 2012

Hmmmmm.....I felt about half of the movie was dedicated to Al Gore moaning about losing not being elected President. Ok, maybe it was only about one third, but still, there was a LOT of misinformation and proselytizing. The flaws in the film have been well-documented, both on the internet and in a court of law, but some of the material presented is still worthwhile.

Since you've shown that film, perhaps you would consider showing "Cool It" as a counterpoint. It still agrees global warming is occurring, but presents the causes and other facts in a more objective manner, IMO.

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 30, 2012

sure, I'll check it out! Thanks! I was browsing these movies on Netflix, and there are quite a few of them, but only saw 6 degrees in its entirety. It's ok, but I think I will find something better.