Going Old School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Dec 4, 2018.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2018

So, we went old school today--phones and network went down about 5pm yesterday and were still down at 4 today. Fun times as we all went to Plan B which involved no tech.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 4, 2018

Anytime ours goes down, there is a moment of panic when I forget that I taught the first half of my career with a chalkboard or whiteboard.

Backroads likes this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 4, 2018

I love going "old school". It makes our lessons so much simpler and removes the stress of making sure the internet page is loading, projector's turned on, Elmo is correctly positioned, replying to an email that's labeled "Respond ASAP!" and so on. I enjoy only needing to worry about where my whiteboard marker is. :D

5. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Dec 4, 2018

I actually think a few people would freak! The coach is in love with technology and actually panics if people aren't using the smartboard.

I could do it.

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Dec 4, 2018

I would not be able to teach without a projector! I'm just not used to it. I only have a tiny whiteboard that not all the kids can see. I usually project and do guided notes and my kids are not used to taking notes from the board.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2018

I never depend on tech for my lessons, but today was slated for the kids to do presentations--most of which were done in Google Slides--so that was a no-go. The printers/copiers being down was a pain, but the biggest impact was in the office; having no phones made tracking down absent students (which must be done by law) difficult.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2018

We were told last year that all the classrooms would be getting smartboards and projectors to use with their other whiteboard. That proved true for all classrooms...except for our SPED class. So, our technology consists of a whiteboard and dry erase markers. I have been a little bit miffed this year because SPED classes always seem to be neglected.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 5, 2018

It's the only way I ever taught. I'm old. School.

MrsC and Leaborb192 like this.
  10. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Dec 7, 2018

Our tech has been down all week, and will probably be down again next week. I don't mind teaching old school, but I miss the copier the most! (It is hooked into our internet.)

11. Guitart

Guitart Rookie

Dec 7, 2018

I came from tech. I worked in IT prior to teaching. I left the industry and all the hassles and hardware. I own no cell, no FB, never Tweeted. I avoid relying on tech but still must use some of it for the benefit of teaching in a digital age, but most of what I do is old school. My students never see me using my computer unless it is for them.

otterpop likes this.
  12. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Dec 8, 2018

I dont have smart board and I can get by without the internet when we need to (half the curriculum is online only though) and this has happened enough times that I always have a plan B available.

I kinda like when the phones and internet are down since trivial crap doesn't interrupt my teaching. If someone is gonna haul their cookies out to my room then its actually important. :)

otterpop likes this.
  13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Dec 9, 2018

I was just thinking about how my teachers in middle/high school used an overhead projector or just a whiteboard usually. I usually use guided notes in math/project everything that the kids have in front of them. My mentor observed me on the second week of school when I wasn't doing this and I noticed an improvement in my classroom management + student focus in general when I started projecting everything. I use my doc cam every single day! My students are so used to this that I feel like they would struggle without everything projected so it scares me not to have technology! My keyboard was not working for an hour the other day and I was relieved that my doc cam was still working.