Going from lots of storage to NONE!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissaG, Jul 11, 2007.

1. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I have to move classrooms next year, and I will be losing every bit of storage that I have. I currently have a wall full of cubbies with shelves above the cubbies. The room I am going to has no cubbies, no shelves, only one cabinet which half of it is a coat closet. There is going to be little room for my desk, let alone an assistant's desk. I work at a fairly new school, but when they built, I don't think they anticipated ever having more than one of each grade level nor did they realize that the 6th grade would be moved back to the elementary school. So I am in a classroom that was probably never meant to be a classroom. I am stressed about configuring the room and even more stressed about storing everything. The third grade teacher that is leaving is in a room with cubbies and they are filled from top to bottom with things that 'belong' to third grade. This is the last thing that I want to focus on, but I guess I need to start deciding on creative organizational techniques to use.

3. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 11, 2007

Can you talk to your principal about finding another place to store those 3rd grade materials? That's just not fair to you. If he/she is not approachable then can you compact the 3rd grade materials to open up the space for your own storage?
    I would try something stackable in the coat closet.
    Think about different angles and arrangements that will allow for more space for your desk and your assistant's desk.

4. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jul 12, 2007

Hi,
    I'm in the same boat you are!! Only I have moved to different school. I have tons of boxes and containers in my laundry room and shed. My new classroom only has a storage cabinet. I do have cubbies, but no closet. The school has a massive amount of supplies so I won't need to bring many of my things that I have accumulated over the years. I don't know what I'm going to do with all this stuff!!

5. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

I did that 4 years ago. I also have a long shelf over cubbies to store. I use copy paper boxes to store. I covered the side that shows with white paper and labeled what would be in them. Then I stack them two high. It does not look great but at least it is uniform. Some teachers that have the same kind of storage hung a long curtain over the area and just put stuff behind the curtain.

6. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 12, 2007

My problem with storage is no matter how much I have, I always want more! I have had my dad make me a bunch of extra shelves and tables for my room; he loves it and I get cool new stuff.

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 12, 2007

Maybe purchasing a wall full of tall shelves during the college dorm room sales would be a good idea? Even if you put furniture like tables and desks right up to the "wall" you can move them to get materials you use less often when the need arises. Good luck!

Also, for any tables you have (if you have any) get a table cloth that will cover storage containers hidden on the bottom.

Maybe keeping some stuff at home, if there's room, will make the room more comfortable.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2007

Plastic utility shelving from Lowes or Home Depot would work. Target and other places have those interlocking wire cubes, too. They might be on sale now.

Hide some things behind shelves and file cabinets.

We use inexpensive white laminate shelves for everything in our school. They don't hold up well because they're not meant for books ..... but that's all we have.

9. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 12, 2007

Think as an organizational expert would. Have you used the item in the last school year? Do you have something else you can use in place of the item? Can you get a copy of the page you need from the reproducible book on line? If you answer yes to these and other questions you can ask yourself you may not need the items in your room. When I went from a huge walk in closet, a coat closet, 25 cubbies with continuous shelves above, and another set of 25 cubbies in an alcove to one closet I found I had to purge, purge, purge. If I couldn't find something I needed I asked a fellow teacher or looked for it on line. Most times I found what I needed. Many other teachers found themselves in the same position as me. In the end we all said cleaning out was one of the best things we did.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 12, 2007

That worked for me in my first classroom, which had no storage. I also utilized plastic storage.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

Usually when you don't have a large space to work with, you need to organize up. Get tall book cases or utility shelving units. See if your district has a surplus warehouse where you can get items like these for free.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

Going vertical is a great idea--find out from your head caretaker how high you can go (in my school, nothing can be higher than the top of the doorframe) and ask them to anchor as many shelves as you can. The suggestion to purge is also essential--I have been in a series of increasingly smaller rooms over the past year and have thrown out a lot!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

The only problem with higher up is that I can't get to it! The main building in my school has absolutely no closets whatsoever. I taught in that building for 4 years. Now I am in the annex (20 yards away). I have one closet that I share with the next door teacher. It is large - but not large enough. We don't have any built-ins, no cupboards, no counters. We aren't allowed to hang anything from the ceiling.

14. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 15, 2007

Going vertical is a good idea, but at 5 feet, 3 inches it's hard to do. I tend to go under - plastic crates under tables and then cover the tables with a table cloth so the crate doesn't show. You slide out the crate, get what you need, and slide it back. Everyone just thinks you have a pretty table. :)

15. blkirsh

blkirsh Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

The classroom I was in for the past 3 years had no storage either. I used the copy paper boxes for storing things but over Winter break we had mice in our room and guess what they chewed into and then pooped inside of? I had to throw out so much I was sick. I suggest investing in those plastic containers just to be sure your stuff is safe. I too stacked them near my desk and it didn't look great but what are you going to do! Good luck!

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2007

I use my tall shelves to hold some theme boxes and resources I don't use often. I do have to stand on a chair to reach them, but it works for me. It's not ideal, but the best thing for the room I'm in now. The only tables I have that I could store boxes under are those which hold my computers, and I found that the students were kicking them and putting their feet on them all of the time.

17. Eneli

Eneli Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I did the same thing as Teacher Chele and I had tons of stuff put away out of sight. I teach students that play the violin and as you can imagine storing the instruments in a room ith no storage was a little difficult, but storing them under tables was perfect. This avoided the crowding in the room and it looked very nice. I used black fabric because I have tons of decorations all over the room and didn't want to have a very busy room. I even put stuff under the tables in the computer center.