Goal(s) for 2018-2019

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Aug 5, 2018.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2018

Schools in my area start on August 15th, so I thought it would be a good time for some goal-setting. My top 3 goals for this year are:
    1. Provide quick PD sessions at staff meetings. I used to do this at my previous site and teachers seemed to like it.
    2. Spend more time in classrooms doing quick informal walkthroughs. Then, provide a post-it note to the teacher to let them know something I liked.
    3. Not be at work for 12 hours a day. Leave at a decent time so I can hit the gym.

I'm interested in hearing your professional goals for this year.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 5, 2018

I'm teaching a new grade level and charging head-first into a PhD program. My goal is to be alive in June.

txbelle, bella84, MrsC and 6 others like this.
  4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Aug 5, 2018

We have a new math adoption and it looks awful: drill and kill. My goal is to keep an open mind, but prepare to supplement.

YTG: I love the second goal so much. If you are familiar with what your teachers are doing, you can explain it to your superiors or anxious parents. Also: I left posits for a struggling student teacher who ultimately failed. She just couldn't tell if the kids were paying attention. Later she sued me and my principal for not helping her enough (We did more than what could be expected.), but she used those positive notes against me claiming I never gave her notice that she needed to improve. Luckily, I had photographed all the "needs improvement" notes and our district lawyer got her to drop the suit.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 5, 2018

I go back tomorrow. We have a lot of new people, staff movement in the building, and all new admins.

I’ll jut be trying to adapt at first.

Last year I started using Google Classroom for class work at least once a week. Those kids are all getting Chromebooks this year. I am not sure what other professional goals I’ll do this year, but I want to include refining my use of stations in my classroom. As a secondary person, that concept is foreign to me. We have a new instructional coach who is going to help me figure out how to include them with my existing units.

mrsf70 and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 5, 2018

I'm going to be gone for part of the school year (yay, baby!) so I'm mostly just hoping to have as smooth a year as possible while also having a newborn!

Some things I want to focus on this year though:
    -research skills. They love the principle of least effort for research. They also really struggle with navigating any sort of database. I want to make that a big focus.
    -grammar. This is a struggle every year for me. I'm trying something new this year (yet again). I'm more optimistic now though.
    -give more opportunity for student/teacher feedback. Too often my kids want to throw out their work as soon as they get it back. I want to work on looking at that feedback with them, setting goals, etc...

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 5, 2018

• Better work/life balance. Not letting work issues bother me so much during nonwork hours.
    • Contribute to a more positive school culture. We had a lot of unhappy teachers last year and I want to help make this year more cheerful. I love the post it note idea - what a positive thing to get.

bella84 and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2018

I’m going to add a 4th one to your list: Score that principalship for yourself!!! :D

9. futuremathsprof

Aug 6, 2018

Here are my 2018-2019 goals, both professional and otherwise:

1) Pay off 2017 Honda Civic by the end of August — I owe $1954 left on the car loan. I’m so excited not to have a car payment anymore and can’t wait for the end of the August to get my title in hand, haha! :cool:

2) Take a prep course and pass the CPACE certification exam to get my administrative license — you admin make bank and I want some of the action!

And here’s the fun part: I’ll be the youngest VP at my school ever! I’m 26 and might get the job by the time I’m 28.

As an aside, I already meet all of the other requirements to be a P/VP in California (I have my Bachelors degree, I’ve taught for 3-5 years — this is my 5th year teaching, I have a valid teaching license, and possess a Masters degree). All I need left is my admin license. After I acquire said license, I’m going to see if I can become a VP at the private school where I work and still teach a couple of math classes on the side; preferably, Calc 3 and AP CompSci. Speaking of which, that’s what one of my current VP’s did. He moved up in position after he got his license, but he still taught a couple of social science classes and he told me it’s very doable. I’m also following in his footsteps because I would make $115,000 as my base salary and get an extra $10,000 on top of that if I take over the AP Computer Science A class as the current teaching is retiring and it is very difficult to find replacement teachers for Computer Science. (My students groaned when they found out I would teach the class because they know I make them work hard. Naturally, I’m totally going to dress up as Emperor Palpatine on the first day of class and swivel in my teacher chair when they walk in to tell them how bleak their situations are, hahaha! ;) )

3) Start crazy saving for a house again. I put saving on pause at the moment because I’ve been focusing on paying off my car the last year, but I’m going to pick it back up again. And since I just had a huge jump in income as a result of my tutoring business, I should be able to save like $50,000 this year minimum.

4) I also plan to start traveling more than I have been, especially next summer as I haven’t done much as of late. In addition, I am going to treat myself more often (getting massages, going to the chiropractor, getting a facial, etc.) because my muscles have been sore lately...

5) This a lofty goal of mine, but I would really like to get a 100% pass rate on at least *one* of my AP classes on the AP test. I’m so close each time, so this time I really want to reach those couple of students who struggle so they can at least pass with a 3.

6) Watch Game of Thrones Season 8 and catch up on the other series I’ve missed on Netflix.

7) Attend some mathematical conferences for professional development, just for curiosity’s sake.

Good luck YoungTeacherGuy! Try to not work 12-hour days... I work my regular teaching job and then private tutor a lot, but I’m able to work long hours because I don’t have a spouse (never will) and don’t ever want to date or have children. You need to spend time more with your family and chillax! :D

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2018

Just curious, I know right now that earning more money is on the top of your bucket list...do you have other things that pique your interest?
    And, not trying to be too personal, but you are very young to make the decision to never date or marry...is there a particular reason why? I tell my daughter, who also does not want to date or marry, that maybe she shouldn't close that door quite so quickly because no one knows what their future holds. I felt the same way in my early 20's but met the person I would want to spend my life with when I got a little older.

Aces, bella84 and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  11. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Aug 6, 2018

I am teaching calc for the first time this year so that will be a fun new challenge. My supervisor is retiring at the end of this school year. A lot of my colleagues really want me to apply for the position so we don't get an "outsider", but I don't think I am ready to make that jump yet. This is will be my 7th year teaching, and I still love being in the classroom too much. I am 29, and I'd like to be at least 35 before taking such a position. It just seems like too much of a thankless job. The extra money may be nice, but I'd rather make some extra money tutoring and being happy with what I do.

On a personal note, I really need to lose a good 15 lbs as some of clothes are a bit tighter than I'd like them to be. In the past 2 weeks I've started running again (more like light jogging to start with). I used to run at least 4-5 nights per week, but just fell out of the routine. I also need to improve my heads-up game as I am a pretty avid online poker player, and heads-up is the weakest part of my game.

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  12. futuremathsprof

Aug 6, 2018

Your question is not too personal. Ask away!

I’d like to start answering your question by saying I fully support your daughter’s decision. Young people and older people, IMO, spend *way* too much time romanticizing and trying to find “the one” when they could be doing more productive things, like contributing to society and bettering themselves. Many of the most important people in history never married and/or did not have children and/or did not have a romantic relationship in their entire lives (e.g. Isaac Newton, Susan B. Anthony, Beethoven, etc.) and look what they accomplished — they changed the world. As far as I see it, they were able to do this because they fully devoted themselves to their careers or goals and I plan to do the same so I can earn the most I possibly can. (Though, I’ll never do anything even remotely monumental as what those giants did.)

With that said, for people who have families and engage in romantic overtures, I believe that they should put their loved ones first because nothing is more important than family — I love my parents and siblings and nieces and nephews, etc., immensely, but I am satisfied with just that. And since I don’t have any loved ones outside of my original family and friends and beloved coworkers, I don’t plan to have any so I can put my job first.

And please don’t feel sorrow or pity for me. Money really does make me happy. I am the exception to the age-old adage that money cannot buy you happiness. In my case, it can.

Continuing that train of though, I have never been interested in romance or dating. For me, marriage is a tremendous waste of time and money.

NOTE: I don’t think this about other people and their relationships, I only have this belief for myself. I recognize the important of romantic relationships for society and for other people’s well-being, but for me I could care less about both.

I’m in my middle twenties and I have never fancied anyone or aspired to get with anyone. My primary concern in life has always been and will always be the acquisition of greater and greater quantities of money. I’ve made the decision to be single for life because I don’t feel it would be fair for me to get into a relationship with someone because I would never feel anyone for them. Outside of familial love, love for my dear friends and pets, and concern and empathy for my fellow human, I don’t feel romantic attraction for others. I consider it a blessing because while everyone else is worrying about and chasing after the person of their dreams and going through multiple, painful, failed attempts at said relationships, I never steered away from my studies and was able to completely focus on my career. I firmly believe that I wouldn't be as accomplished as I am at my young age without having done so. Money, to me, is much more important that finding “true” love, which I don’t believe in in the first place — the aforementioned persons in my lives are my true loves.

Your question actually reminds me of a question my fourth-grade teacher asked my classmates and me when she was teaching us about sometimes having to make difficult decisions. She said, “You have three options: 1) $100 million and a lonely life; 2) finding true love, having a loving family and enough money to be financially stable, or 3) a simple life (with family or without) with just enough money to get by (i.e. meager income). Which would you choose? You can only pick one.” For me, this was a no-brainer and I immediately chose option 1 to my teacher’s astonishment as she replied that I was the only student who had ever chosen option 1. You see, I completely disregarded the second two options because they have never even crossed my mind and they *never* will. That’s just not what I want in life.

In conclusion, I’m not the type of person who will ever change their mind on this. I made up my mind when I was 5 and I’ve not changed it in the slightest in 21 years and I won’t until I draw my last breath. Sure, I’ll be alone most likely, but at least I’ll have a loaded bank account and that brings a bright smile to my face.

13. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Aug 6, 2018

It almost sounds like you might be on the spectrum.

14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Aug 6, 2018

1) My first goal is to survive my first year of teaching!

2) I want to greet my students outside the door every morning.

3) I want to have my kids work collaboratively.

4) I want to do number talks with my kids about 2 times a week.

5) I want to teach my kids routines and procedures starting from the first day.

15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Aug 6, 2018

Not to be rude, but I'm interested in knowing why you got into teaching if your primary goal is making money? Teaching doesn't pay badly in a lot of places, but it doesn't pay as well as a lot of other careers.

readingrules12 and bella84 like this.
  16. RaiderFan87

RaiderFan87 Rookie

Aug 6, 2018

Create more sentence frames for my ELs and low students and post them around the room for all students to use.

Also, start out each week with a Close Reading passage. I did this last year, but got busy and it eventually fell off my list of priorities.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  17. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 6, 2018

My goals, in order of priority, are:

1. Create and maintain a work/life balance. I always work so hard in the first few months, and then I end up falling into an emotional pit of resentment, despair, and burnout. I usually get things back together in the springtime, but it's only after developing an "I don't care anymore" attitude. I want to maintain and positive and healthy attitude all year long this year, knowing that some weeks may be harder than others, and I want to do my best to leave work at work whenever possible.

2. Be a supportive and engaged teammate. Half of my grade-level teammates are going to be unfamiliar faces (either new permanent teachers or serving as long-term subs for a significant portion of the year). The familiar faces that remain are ones that I either don't always see eye-to-eye with or who I just didn't gel with for one reason or another in the past. I'm going to do my best to build relationships with everyone while not forgoing my own beliefs simply for the sake of getting along.

3. Create a culture of respect in my classroom. I've never really struggled with this before, but last year I had a group of kids who just couldn't get along with each other. I didn't have so many teacher-to-student relationship issues, but I sure had a lot of student-to-student issues. I have a lot of the same students again this year but also some new faces. I want to make community-building a bigger priority than I did last year.

4. Improve my reading instruction by worrying less about what admin wants to see and doing more about what I know is the right thing to do. This includes conferencing regularly, creating meaningful and engaging opportunities for students to talk about and write about reading, and offering more options for student choice - both in book selection and in grouping structures.

5. Learning the math and science content. This will be my first year teaching this particular grade-level in a general education setting, so I know that will add a little bit of an additional challenge. We are getting new science curricular materials, so there will be some learning involved with that as well.

6. Differentiate more effectively in math instruction. It will be extra work, but I want to create more tiered tasks and offer more choices in my math instruction so that all students can access the content.

I know that it's probably not possible to do well with all of these goals, which is why I've prioritized them.

18. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2018

My goals include: graduating in December and getting a job!
    :D

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 6, 2018

1. Try co-teaching with my grade level partner
    2. Use the "Picture-Word Inductive Model" to support vocabulary instruction & writing
    https://saskatchewanreads.wordpress.com/pwim-picture-word-inductive-model/
    3. Try inquiry strategies from "The Curious Classroom" by Harvey Daniels
    4. Have fun! It's so easy to get bogged down in all the STUFF, I don't want to forget to take time to enjoy what I do.

otterpop likes this.
  20. futuremathsprof

Aug 6, 2018

Great question! My friends asked the same thing pretty much and they were shocked when I told them this:

I wanted to balance work/home life. I recognize the perks of teaching (e.g. all the time off) and that is why I chose to work at a private school with a certain amount of the student population with wealthy parents. As a private schoolteacher, I can advertise my tutoring services to students and I charge top dollar for tutoring. This year, I’ll make six figures and I don’t feel like I’m working — math comes very easily to me. I easily make as much as my accounting, engineering, nursing, and first-year doctor friends!

The ability to move up in salary at my school is huge. If you don’t make a lot of money quick, then my colleagues and I agree you’re doing it wrong. Think about it: I made $55,000 last year as a 4th-year teacher and this year I’ll make $62,000 as a 5th-year. Plus, I’m going to make at least $5,000/month from tutoring the kids of a single wealthy client (I’ve been tutoring their children for three years). That means I’ll make at least $122,000. That doesn’t include the bonus we teachers get based on performance.

I did it because I feel it’s an easy job — for me — and I get loads of time off. You can’t beat that as far as I’m concerned.

Once I’m a VP, I’ll make $115,000 + $60,000 (tutoring) or $175,000. I would make more than senior engineers, pharmacists, actuaries, etc.

That’s why I went into teaching at my school — most teachers make bank and the admin make oodles of money. The P makes $150,000 and I eventually will my eyes set on that role, but that won’t be until I know all the ins and outs of being a VP first.

21. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 6, 2018

1. I'm fairly good about having a work life balance in the sense that I don't spend a crazy amount of my own hours working, but I do really struggle with stressing, constantly thinking about, and being anxious about work things when I'm not at work. I don't think teaching is a job where it's possible to entirely "leave work at work" but I'd like to at least work on having a calmer attitude this year- work on things that are in my control, and let go of things that I have no control over (really hard for me :)).

Part of this is going to be committing to not checking my email over holiday breaks or until Sunday on weekends. I'd always tell myself I was just checking to "make sure there's nothing there." Well, that only works as an anxiety relieving strategy if there actually is nothing there!

2. I'm a person who doesn't love being social at work. I have a large group of friends who aren't teachers and I like things that way. I've never really wanted to be friends with "work people." However, my school is pushing more and more collaboration and this is easier to do when you have personal relationships with people. Last year I started making an effort toward the end of the year to go to things like work happy hours, baby/wedding showers, potluck lunches, etc. I'd always avoided those things because to me they feel like an extension of work, but I did start to notice a positive difference last year, so I plan to keep that up.

As far as collaboration goes, I've always found this part of the job to be difficult because my students are so far behind their gen ed peers. It didn't feel right for me to focus on the gen ed content in my room, because I'm teaching them how to read. At our last leadership team we talked about focusing on aligning our small group instruction instead, since during small group time the gen ed teachers also have the freedom to work at the students' level rather than only focusing on grade level content. I'm thinking things like making sure we're working on the same sight words, same phonics skills, using the same language, etc. I don't know that my P will go for it (I feel like she's more interested in me helping the kids access the grade level content), but I'm going to push for it this year.

3. My school is starting later in the morning (and then of course ending later in the afternoon) this year. I'm so not a morning person, but I'm going to try working out first thing in the morning. Due to the later start time, I'll be able to get up at the same time I always have and get a 30-40 minute workout in before school. That way it's done and I don't have to worry about it after school, especially since I'll be getting home later this year.