Go Math!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MMRbella, Jul 18, 2011.

1. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Jul 18, 2011

Our district has just adopted Go Math! (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) as our math program for next year (K-5). Does anyone have experience with this program? Advice? Resources? Websites? Any insight at all?

I'm currently reading Debbie Diller's new book on math workstations and I definitely would like to tie her strategies in to my instruction. :)

Thanks!

3. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 18, 2011

We started using it last year. The website is pretty good. You can pull up all the books online. I used the book everyday with my daily lesson. I used my interactive white board with it. Thye also have a way to create practice online for the kids who are struggling and then you can also test them online. The website also has online manipluatives which I found useful at least for 2nd graders. The one downfall that my team and I found confusing was how many different ways they teach one concept. We know there are different types of learners but some of these strategies we did not even understand.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 18, 2011

We are adopting this as well. I'm excited about it, I think it will be a welcome addition to our curriculum!

5. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

We started using the Florida version last year. There were many terrific, kid-friendly lessons - but don't assume they ALL are.

We found that in the 2nd half of the year many of the lessons didn't make sense, and were not on the assessments.

We ended up modifying probably 20 lessons through the whole year.

Janedo5513 likes this.
  6. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Jul 26, 2011

We're a little concerned in my school... at the brief workshop we attended about Go Math!, the online component was really stressed- however, there are only 4 classrooms in our school that have smart boards. : / I teach an inclusive class, so I am *supposed* to get an interactive whiteboard next year, but who knows. I understand that you can still teach the program without using a smart board, but it seems like that is what makes the program strong... ::sigh::

7. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Jul 26, 2011

I was taught by Juli Dixon, the author of Go Math! She is awesome and her curriculum is equally awesome. The reason the online component is stressed is because many teachers do not understand the methods of teaching the math. We were not taught this way when we were in school, but this way is significantly better.

The program is definitely not strong simply because of a smart board or online component. The way we learned it never involved any technology at all.

Go Math is the future. It is the way math is taught in the most successful school systems around the world.

Go Math is essentially about teaching students how to make sense of any math that comes their way. It is not about learning a single algorithm (like long division) to solve problems. It is about teaching children to understand math well enough to use multiple algorithms and invented procedures.

If anyone has any questions about particular methods in Go Math, please feel free to message me.

8. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 26, 2011

Go Math Workstations

Go Math! Florida came with some really nice workstation activities. I only used a small portion of them but my students loved them! They really tied in well with the concepts we were working and the students had fun playing!

9. Lyndsay Blohm

Lyndsay Blohm New Member

Sep 30, 2017

Hi, I realize this is a very old thread. I'm new to Go Math. Ive previously taught Investigations and Engage NY. I'm having a hard time with the "flow" of Go Math. It feels like a lot of paper and pencil and not much investigation. If you could tell me how you use the student pages, that would be awesome. And if you have any ideas on how to make it a little more engaging that would be great! Thank you so much!

10. justateacher123

justateacher123 Rookie

Oct 2, 2017

I am NOT fond of gomath. I had used envisions previously since I started teaching. The resources aren't that great.

11. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2017

We started envision this year. I thought I would like it, but I think now that was because our trainer from the company was good. I'm not at all pleased with the curriculum. Lots of problems with it.

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 9, 2017

I've found that Envision makes a good supplemental resource. Some of the center activities are good, some of the homework sheets are good, and I like the Quick Checks for exit tickets. I can't base my instruction around it though.

bella84 likes this.