Global Scholar Fall to Winter resultsAt

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Feb 7, 2018

My 7th, 8th, and 10th grade students took their Global Scholar winter test. Their results are being compared to how they did in the Fall. Unfortunately, most of the results are not good. For every student who improved far above what the system calculated he / she should improve, many students improved but not enough OR regressed.

My question is at what point will these test scores negatively affect me in terms of continuing to work where I am?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2018

Not familiar to this test - what is it most similar to?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2018

It all depends on how much your admin team and the people above them care about these scores.

From what I've seen, there are some tests that do often see student regression at certain grade levels. It's like there is a massive leap in expectations on the tests in one year compared the tests in the previous year, and it doesn't always produce a nice upward curve in scores. Where this happens, administrators understand and expect it; for the most part it's not seen as a big deal unless the scores continue at a stagnant or downward trend, even after allowing for that one-time hiccup.

I think it also matters what results your grade-level and subject-area colleagues are seeing, both at your school and at area schools with similar demographics. If most students are scoring well while your class is an outlier with bad scores, that is probably going to be problematic however you slice it. If most students are scoring like your students are scoring, it will be hard to single you out.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Feb 8, 2018

It's a computer-based test made by SCANTRON - Performance Series. The website is http://www.performanceseries.com/

Students take tests in Fall, Winter, and Spring. Their scores are scaled and improvement is determined if their scores rise to or above what the system thinks they should rise to. I told my AP and P that I expected 8th grade to perform well because they did so in the Fall (many scored average-high and average-low) and 7th grade to do not so well because their Fall scores weren't good (majority scored below average). For the Winter test, the scores lined up just like in the Fall. Some went up, but many didn't improve "enough" so they didn't make target score.

6. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Feb 8, 2018

Our state issues "report card" grades on a school and district level. Student growth is part of the grade and using these test scores is a factor,