Glaring teachers' incompetence

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rutherford, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Rutherford

Rutherford Rookie

Nov 14, 2017

Recently in Kaduna state, Nigeria, teachers were subjected to competency test based on primary four questions. Unfortunately, 21,780 teachers failed woefully. Now, they are about to be sacked. What could be responsible for this gross incompetence of the so-called custodians of knowledge? To get details about what happened just type on google: 'kaduna teachers' saga'

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2017

Wow, very interesting info to read after a google search.

From what I read, it seems like people got hired probably due to corruption. I know someone so I get this good paying state job.

While not at the same level obviously, don’t we read postings on this forum by people struggling to pass our tests all the time? Granted ours are much harder.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Nov 14, 2017

This is scary. It reminds me of a story I heard from my students today about a teacher who proctored their recent ACT exam. Apparently, this “teacher” didn’t even know that the students were taking the ACT (it’s literally on the front of the exam booklet), said she had never “tooken” the test before, and made them rearrange their seats five times, all the while having difficulty reading the SSD Coordinator manual... Teachers like that should just leave the profession entirely.

I agree with the president’s decision to back the firing of those woefully incompetent teachers. I mean, if you can’t even answer basic level questions about your subject matter, then you should not be anywhere near a classroom.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    AlwaysAttend likes this.
  5. rpan

rpan Comrade

Nov 14, 2017

I have encountered many teachers who have passed all the requisite tests that, on paper, would indicate that they are competent. In practice, its a whole different story.
    Even knowing about the subject matter does not mean that you can teach it effectively. But I would agree that if you cannot pass the requisite tests on content, then you should not be in a classroom in a teaching capacity.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Nov 14, 2017

Correct. I am not saying having subject matter competence makes someone an effective teacher. I am saying that it is a necessary prerequisite. For example, I’m a high school math teacher and so I am expected to have mastered algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and statistics at the very least. Furthermore, since I now also teach at the college level, I am expected to have advanced knowledge of my field. To clarify, before I was brought on staff I had to demonstrate my subject matter competency in a variety of circumstances. It would not make sense to have it done any other way.

7. blazer

blazer Groupie

Nov 19, 2017 at 4:51 AM

The OP also posted this thread on the TES site. Looking at the links and other subsequent stories there may be more than one explanation for this. Perhaps corruption by those hiring the teachers. Perhaps corruption in the gaining of qualifications in the Nigerian education system such that degrees and diplomas are awarded fraudulently, then these are used to gain employment for which the holder is not qualified. A third possibility is that the questionnaires are in English (and 'British' English at that) which may not be the first language of those taking the tests.

http://dailypost.ng/2017/11/10/shocks-el-rufai-releases-teachers-test-papers-photos/

Obadiah likes this.