Giving Up on Teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WarriorPrncss, May 4, 2017.

1. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

May 4, 2017

So... Last year I was an intern teacher and was "let go" because I wasn't a good fit for the school. (In reality it was a small charter school with high social standards and a clique I didn't fit in to. I hated it there and was half glad to have to leave.)

This year I am teaching on a short term staff permit due to not having passed the RICA. I LOVE my school, my co-workers and wouldn't leave for anything--- except that I've failed the RICA 2x by 3pts and was non-renewed because I failed to hold up my end on the renewal agreement which was to pass by March 15th.

I took the RICA again last night. It was a nightmare. The hardest test, by far, and the case study was the one area I couldn't come up with 2 solid instructional strategies. If I passed it'd be a miracle.

Anyhow... by not passing last night I've lost the window to get a job for next year since I won't be able to take the RICA and get result before next school year.

So... I can't teach next year. I'm lost. What do I do?

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 4, 2017

What grade level / subject are can you teach with or without the RICA? What credential do you have?

4. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

May 4, 2017

I cannot get my credential without the RICA, that's the problem. I'm currently teaching on a short term or "emergency" permit. But, it's only good for a year.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

May 4, 2017

Which study guides are you using? Also, how much actual studying are you doing? Passing the RICA needs to be your top priority right now; remember that it's your ticket to becoming fully credentialed and getting a job!

yellowdaisies likes this.
  6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 4, 2017

But would your credential be multiple subject or special ed? My school is still looking for an RSP teacher and they might give you more time to pass the RICA, if your credential is special ed. If I remember correctly, you're also in the Central Valley.

7. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

May 4, 2017

I am in the central valley, but I'd have a multiple subject credential. I wish I would have gone into RSP, now. Working more 1 on 1 and small group... that'd be wonderful.

I could study more (but, couldn't we all-- work, study, etc more?) My problem isn't that I'm doing terrible, I've missed by 3pts both times I've taken it. Though, last night's test will be bad, I'm sure. It was ridiculously hard--- I didn't feel like the first 2 were that bad, which makes it that much more frustrating.

8. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

May 4, 2017

So this is a California thing and part of why it is so hard to get into teaching there?

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 4, 2017

I used an older edition of this study guide and found it to be very helpful.

Please don't take this as a judgment, because I do feel awful for you and your situation, but why have you only taken the RICA twice, knowing that passing it was necessary for obtaining your credential and continuing employment? Is it offered that rarely? I honestly don't know or remember. (I took it in 2011.) I agree with YTG - top priority for sure. When is the next time the test is available? How long does it take to get results? You could still potentially be hired up through August for next year.

As for options for next year, you don't need RICA (or a credential) to sub, or to long term sub, so that's the route I would probably take in your shoes. You could also be a para. Any of those jobs would help you build connections to get a teaching job once you've secured the credential.

It is a California thing. The reason it's comparatively difficult to get into teaching here is because you need a credential on top of the BA, which is usually (not always) a 5th year program and 30 additional units. Most states have tests they have to pass. I guess we may have more than others, but I wouldn't know - we have the CBEST (basic skills), CSET (content knowledge), and RICA (reading instruction) for elementary credentials.