Getting rid of Elementary supplies/books

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WarriorPrncss, Nov 11, 2017.

1. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Nov 11, 2017

I am not sure where to post this... so here we are...

I went from teaching elementary to high school. I have collected dozens of sets of leveled readers. Class sets of rulers, protractors, etc, etc, etc...

Is there a "teacher ebay" of sorts online where other teachers might be looking for these types of items? I'm not looking to make money, just recoup a little of what I've put out.

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Nov 11, 2017

I had a garage sale when I left the classroom. I advertised it using a local site and made sure to note that I was a former teacher.

otterpop and WarriorPrncss like this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2017

Facebook buy/sell groups can also be a great way to find local people interested. I've seen some at garage sales, too. Our union posts ads in the weekly newsletter for members...might not be the case for your area, but something to look into.

5. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

Nov 11, 2017

I would definitely try a garage sale first and like MissScrimmage said, definitely note in the ad that you're an elementary school teacher getting rid of books and other supplies. Then you don't have to worry about shipping anything. Other than that, Craigslist might be the most direct route. I search my local Craigslist for picture books and other things I use in my room a lot.

6. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Nov 11, 2017

Whatever you can't sell, consider donating to an after-school program or somewhere that offers youth services like a Y or Boys and Girls Club. I volunteered at a homework help program in college, and they had nothing in the way of supplies other than paper, pencils, and pens. If you're itemizing, you can take a tax write-off for whatever you donate instead of having clutter.

MissScrimmage likes this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Nov 12, 2017

Personally, I would actually try Ebay. Buyer pays the shipping. Books can be sent at a reduced book rate to save money on shipping. Craigslist is also a great choice. The sets of things that aren't heavy, sets of rulers, protractors, etc, etc, etc...can be sold as lots on Ebay. I buy ink pens and pencils there all of the time, and save a ton of money doing so. If you have a county board of ed., you might check with them for suggestions to keep the stuff local.

WarriorPrncss likes this.
  8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 12, 2017

My area has a teacher buy/sell group on Facebook. You might check to see if there's one in your area. I'm in a big city though.