Getting More Anxious in taking CSET SUBTEST III

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by jennk2212, Jun 1, 2017.

1. jennk2212

jennk2212 Rookie

Jun 1, 2017

I did not pass cset iii again just by 2 points. I am getting more frustrated because I diligently studied the Cliffnotes for the sections but I always do bad in P.E. and the Visual Arts. I always get ++++ for human development but get ++ for visual arts and P.E. I was completely fine with subtest 1 and 2 but the 3rd one is just kicking my butt. I find the visual arts one more tricky as my weakness has been analyzing art. Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong with P.E.

Does anyone have advice on what I can do ? I am getting so stressed.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2017

Are you seeing ++ just in multiple choice, or just in constructed response, or both?

4. jennk2212

jennk2212 Rookie

Jun 2, 2017

My constructed response overall is +++
    I am just seeing ++ for multiple choice in P.E. and Visual Arts

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2017

Ah. Do multiple choice tests generally give you grief? Do you choose an answer, then change it, then regret the change?

6. jennk2212

jennk2212 Rookie

Jun 3, 2017

I tend to just second guess myself and change it then realize the question doesn't make sense anymore. I started to have a lot of doubt about myself and low confidence.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2017

Here's the rule on rethinking your answer to a multiple-choice question: Don't change your answer if you can't point to what you did wrong to get your first answer.

Multiple-choice questions often either give a stimulus (=scenario or image) with several factors or name/display a phenomenon that you're expected to know well enough to be able to identify more than one factor in it - for an arts question, this could mean design principles + elements, including media; for a PE question, this could mean skill + physical effect + expected age of acquisition - in which case the correct response is the one that matches the stimulus at the most points, or at least the one that contradicts the stimulus at the fewest points.

If your own confidence is ebbing, try engaging your pity for someone else: imagine as vividly as possible that someone who's in even worse shape than you is taking the test, and your job is to help this pitiable person navigate the test. How might you teach this person?

8. jennk2212

jennk2212 Rookie

Jun 3, 2017

Thanks TeacherGroupie as always!!! Your detailed explanation on the multiple choice question gave me a new perspective.

9. DAH

DAH Companion

Jun 7, 2017

Jennk, relax.
    Go over to TeachersTestPrep.com and enroll in their 6-month online video test prep for CSET III. You will pass next time.

My problem was Subtest II (math & science), but when I took the online video test prep from this website, it was over: I passed in LIVING COLOR, and not just barely!
    If you study along with the short video segments, covering EVERY COMPETENCE ON THE TEST, you will pass. The prep videos are not overwhelming, it's not too much. They just hit on every competence that you NEED TO KNOW to pass the test. I give this site an A+.

I was VERY pleased with how well it prepared me.
    Good luck!:thumbs:

teachervero likes this.
  10. JBrand29

JBrand29 Rookie

Jun 30, 2017

I am the opposite of you, I passed subtest 3 easily and can't pass 1 and 2 to save my life, I am literally so depressed and feel so stupid. Especially since I did sign up for the Teachers Test prep, studied daily, took pages and pages of notes. I felt so good about subtest 1 and got a 218 and a 216 on subtest 2. I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 1, 2017

Hugs, JBrand29. 218 and 216 are very close to passing. What are you seeing by way of diagnostics (plus marks for multiple choice, letters or checkmark for constructed response) for each domain of Subtests I and II?

12. DAH

DAH Companion

Jul 1, 2017

JBrand29, post: 2035210, member: 107578

JB-----There are CSET courses all over southern California. CalState Fullerton had them a few years back, I'm sure Long Beach, and Northridge offer something. Don't feel bad, LOT'S of people have trouble with the CSET that's why there is so much help out there.

DON'T GIVE-UP! And do not permit yourself to become discouraged. Continue with the video courses, and study for ONE SUB-TEST AT A TIME. That is the mistake many people make, they take ALL 3 SUB-TESTS IN ONE SITTING. Nooo! Don't do that!
    Study for ONE SUBTEST at a time, then move on to the next one.

13. JBrand29

JBrand29 Rookie

Jul 1, 2017

Subtest 1--K and K,S and K and P ...overall ++ for constructed response, +++ for multiple choice
    Subtest 2--K and K, K and checkmark, ++ overall for cr and +++for multiple choice

I felt so good about the reading cr's, I've gotten a checkmark on one of the Reading ones before which is always on the test (at least all 3 of mine) so I thought I would have gotten that one. I'm actually shocked I got a checkmark on the math one, I didn't expect that.

14. alp123

alp123 Rookie

Jul 1, 2017

I agree with DAH....keep trying and don't give up!! I took one test at a time...Section ll was the most challenging for me....but I kept at it and finally passed. You are sooo close!! I also used the Teachers Test Prep 1 day classroom course and I bought a HS exit exam Science book on-line. It helped. For the math.. I used Khan Academy and some other Math websites.

Now the problem for me is....finding a job in California with all the budget cuts. :(

Good luck!! You will pass!! :)

15. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Jul 1, 2017

this is a pretty incredible answer. bravo. If I hadn't already passed all my tests, I'd want you as my tutor!

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 3, 2017

The "k" indicator points to a shortfall in knowledge: while your responses are generally correct (few to no p's) and supported (few to no s's), you don't seem to be coming across like someone with a good grasp of the content. Try using more technical terms, and do please bear in mind that your audience is fellow teachers.

17. DAH

DAH Companion

Jul 4, 2017

[QUOTE="alp123,
    Where are you in California, Alp?
    If you don't mind an ULTRA liberal, ULTRA ghetto atmosphere, Oakland USD is hiring teachers from K-12. (But you might have to wear a bullet-proof vest to class :neutral:).

18. JBrand29

JBrand29 Rookie

Jul 10, 2017

That is helpful. I still feel robbed on Subtest 1. I'm tempted to pay the $50 to have it rescored. Of the questions I had I feel like I would have at least got one of them good enough to get a checkmark. Thinking about taking the test again gives me such anxiety :(

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2017

Try this, JBrand: imagine that someone else is going to be taking the test, that that person is sweating bullets about it, and that your goal in taking it again is to show that person how to get through it without losing his mind.

20. jennk2212

jennk2212 Rookie

Sep 5, 2017

Yaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!I finally passed it with flying color. Thank you @TeacherGroupie for everything. You have no idea how your advice and encouragement motivated me!!!!!

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 5, 2017

I'm thrilled for you, jennk2212! Congratulations!

Pay it forward, please.

futuremathsprof and jennk2212 like this.