Getting calls from work on days off/school breaks

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by whizkid, Jun 12, 2018.

1. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Jun 12, 2018

Does it drive anyone else up the wall to get calls from work on days off or during school breaks?

I mean, did the ending of the school year and our contract entitle us to, I don't know, a LIFE or not!!!!

3. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Jun 12, 2018

This is soon to be the hottest thread on the board! :screamcat::screamcat::screamcat:

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 12, 2018

I never get calls from work ?! I did get emails all the time, but they've pretty much stopped since summer started

5. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Jun 12, 2018

You're so lucky!!!

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Jun 12, 2018

What are they calling you about? I email people throughout the summer--and if they respond, they respond. Otherwise, I'll talk to them when they come back in August.

Personally, I don't appreciate being bothered on my personal time. Period.

Backroads and bella84 like this.
  7. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Jun 12, 2018

Thank you! Exactly! Papers, forms, things I constantly look for during the month of May so I won't be bugged during the summer! I don't even check emails until August! I put up with annoyances for 10 months to get two months away from it!

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 12, 2018

Several years ago, my previous P asked me if I'd be interested in getting Wilson trained and I said yes, but she never appeared to follow through. That summer, she called me and asked if I could go to a training that was about two weeks away; I couldn't go because I was travelling. I told her I travel every summer and need very advance notice if I'm going to be able to do anything like that. She called for the next 3 summers with a training "she had just found out about" and every time it fell on the dates I was out of town. Needless to say, I still have no Wilson training :rolleyes:.

We are required to turn in summer contact info to the office and I don't like that. We should be "off limits" in the summer, IMO. I typically don't check my email until school is getting closer, but we're supposed to be hiring a new para for my program and I want to be in on the interviews, so I've been checking for that reason. My P emailed me a question last week, which I find annoying. No, "I know you may not see this for awhile" or "whenever you can get back to me is fine" comment either. Even though I happened to see it the same day, I purposely waited almost a week to respond so as to not give the impression that I'm readily available during the summer.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jun 12, 2018

Some years I'm on the interview committee, so I'll be available to sit in on interviews. Other times I need to be contacted about team, department, or other duties outside of regular teaching. They do, however, usually know to text or email me. I hate phone calls.

10. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jun 13, 2018

I keep my work email on my phone and, therefore, check it regularly during the summer. We don’t get many emails over the summer, but I like to know what’s going on when we do get them. I don’t feel any pressure to respond immediately, so I just respond when I can, if I need to respond at all. The one thing I don’t like is that we are expected to do home visits with our students before the first day of school. In theory, we can wait until our first contract day to start them, as we have about five contract days before the first school day. However, that’s such a busy time that most people like to get them out of the way before the first contract day, and there is often pressure - from parents and admin - to do them sooner. We get paid for them, so I can’t complain too much, but it is annoying to have to plan for that during our summer break. Those are really the only summer emails that I dread.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2018

I have only ever received one phone call from work, and that was a late night phone call from my principal letting me know that one of our staff members had died unexpectedly. My P does communicate via email but she does not expect a response if we are off, in the evenings, on weekends, or during school holidays. My school email comes to my phone, just because I like to be aware, not because I feel the need to respond.

bella84 likes this.
  12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 13, 2018

I've been contacted about interviews when we were arranging those. I've also had my P call to ask what I thought about moving rooms. He could've just moved me, but I appreciated that he called to check first and gave me the option of which room I wanted. Right now we're working on some changes next year that I want to be involved in, so I appreciate the emails.
    I also get emails from kids with questions about their summer assignments. I try to reply to those as promptly as I can.

13. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2018

I have not received a single call from the school or someone at it, unless I had specifically called someone and was waiting on a call back.

I'll sometimes receive an e-mail, but everyone is clear that the expectation is that we have 24 hours (a work day) to respond, but don't have to respond during the summer. The only exception is sometimes if there's some PD that some of us are collaborating with...then we might expect each other to respond...but that in itself is outrageously rare.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 14, 2018

I never actually got called either while on holiday breaks or summer vacations. Emails maybe, in which I sure didn't check it until I was "officially back on the clock".

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2018

I get notified during the summer because I do all the entrance testing for the school, but they try to schedule all tests during one day of the week so I don't have to come in that often. I just leave them my vacation schedule when school gets out so they know when I'm available.