Getting Back Sloppy Homework

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 13, 2007

I don't know about your students, but I'm a sub & the times I've had the chance to get back homework from students, it looks so disgusting, a person would be kind of hesitant to take it.

I was raised to take pride in things, to keep things very clean, neat, & organized. The homework I get back has a million bends in it, is wrinkled, even has food stains! :( When I have the opportunity, I try to tell them about the importantance of neatness.

Any comments?

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 13, 2007

Today I wrote "unacceptable" across a child's work. I made her do it again. Not only was it messy, but there was a giant question mark on one section. It was a self-evaluation for our entire writing unit. Under "I learned..." she left it with the question mark, and the rest of it was a mess... talk about lack of pride. This is a child with great academic skills, not an excuse to be messy, just because it's not hard for her.

I just started doing this. I am much more strict than I used to be.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 13, 2007

I refuse to take sloppy work from students. I have been known to have a student redo the same paper three or even four times because of messiness. If I don't catch the sloppiness right away (lots of little scribbles and such) they lose points for lack of neatness. With some kids it makes no difference.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2007

I am getting stricter with this too. I work at a vocational school so we try to treat kids like they are "on the job" and I tell them I wont except a certain low quality of work.

6. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Nov 13, 2007

After the day I had today I'd be happy if they even handed it in! 10 of my 24 students in my afternoon class handed in their homework!!! I'm so tired of the lazy attitudes! So, I got on the computer put a zero in the grade book and printed a sheet for their parents to sign!

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2007

I'm a sub also, and it amazes me the junk some kids will hand in. I can tell what they ate for dinner the night before because it's all over the paper:rolleyes:

I've noticed that most notebooks are the same way too. When I was in school, we had to have our notebooks neat and legible. The teachers would conduct unannounced notebook checks..... what ever happened to those days?

8. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Nov 13, 2007

I am a sub and this is what I do

If student's hand in homework from the previous night and the teacher asks me to grade it I only grade the papers of the kids whose writing I can read. If I am going to be collecting anything from the kids I tell them I will only accept it if it is readable and has their name on it. If I still can't read what they wrote I either mark the answer as wrong or I just don't bother to grade it at all. I also leave the teacher a note as to why an assignment was not graded. I can't stand sloppy work. It strains my eyes to try and figure out what they have written. I have actually had students who just rushed through their work because I think they figured that I would just let them "do their own thing" until the next whole class activity. What I have started doing is I bring in class copies of "drill" worksheets for a variety of subjects for kids to work on when they are finished. If the work is super sloppy I make them go back to their desks and redo it.

Mldouglas

9. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Nov 14, 2007

Grade the papers for neatness a few times. Use a neatness ruberic. Place them in piles from 5-1: A = 5, B = 4, C = 3, D = 2, F = 1.
    Quickly you should notice no more pick-nose, honkers, bodily fluids and solids, food, dead bugs, etc.

10. blue-eyed mom

blue-eyed mom Companion

Nov 14, 2007

My classroom lives by the rule: If you don't have time to do it right, you must have time to do it over. ;)