Getting an interview out of state

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathematicalanomaly, Feb 8, 2018.

1. mathematicalanomaly

mathematicalanomaly Rookie

Apr 4, 2018

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2018

Hopefully having your credentials for you state of choice will make a positive difference in your favor. At the very least, you will know if there is more testing in your future, which is good, because that can be a stumbling block simply based on the time factor. If you have your ducks in a row, apply and make sure that you play up your credentials - it indicates that you are serious about the move. In possession of your credentials, you would be on better footing to ask for Skype interviews, since it isn't possible to leave your current placement at this time. That shows you are committed to your job and have your priorities geared towards doing the job at hand to the best of your ability.

Best of luck!

3. mathematicalanomaly

mathematicalanomaly Rookie

Apr 4, 2018

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2018

Your post made me sad that you have struggled so much in life. I really hope that you find that teaching job you want and pass all of your certification tests. I also hope that you find that special someone and can start a family that you so desperately deserve! I’m rooting for you!

I wish you the absolute best of luck. This world needs more passionate teachers like you. Cheers! :D

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 4, 2018

Please don’t take offense to her post. Vickilyn provides clear, concise, and straight-forward advice. I’m certain she didn’t intend to upset you.

We’re all rootin’ for ya! Hugs!

Caesar753 and futuremathsprof like this.
  6. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2018

I'm sorry you took offense. The advice to GO to the interview(s) was the same that I gave my son (subbing) when he had exhausted all avenues in our state. Granted, going just a few states away made driving reasonable, but I know that after applying for a year and getting no where, he needed to be proactive. He had done Skype interviews to no avail, and the people who were seriously considering him were not gung ho to do Skype interviews. They wanted to meet him. He went for a single interview, but when the district found out he had made the trip, all of a sudden, it grew to 5 schools in the same district. He ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, slept in his car for all but one of the nights, and ended with his choice of jobs. I'm not sure you can make less than subbing, but he also wasn't going cross country. Honestly, I don't know much about NC other than teachers seem to want out.

Applying for a job is selling yourself and your abilities. In your case, you couldn't go. I have a good sense of the "hiring season", which lends a sense of urgency, but the truth is that teachers are hired year round somewhere. My only desire was to point out that credentials in hand will be beneficial, and interviewing face to face will give you the best chance of success. If you can't, then you can't. Best of luck in future endeavors.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2018

I'm in the process of creating a digital portfolio where I will showcase my teaching through photos and video. I don't know if that's something you can try and include when you email? I'm really not sure. I'll be trying to land a job while out of country, but our teachers do it all the time (so that gives me hope). Remote interviews are becoming more and more common. Best of luck to you!

8. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Apr 7, 2018

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2018

I was hired out of state after having only done a phone interview. It's possible to get a job this way, but it's not easy. I had a few things that worked in my favor. For starters, the district I was applying to had a lot of open positions. In fact, the year I was hired I think they hired 3,000 other teachers. That helps. You can't control how many openings a district has, of course, but you can take some time to research districts where you have a better chance of getting a job. Besides that, the other things I had were an excellent resume and cover letter, as well as exemplary recommendations. Having these things helped move my resume to the top of the pile, landing me an interview. I interview pretty well, so I knew that my chances would be good as long as I could get that interview, even if it was just on the phone.

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2018

Hahaha!