Getting a teaching job with a DUI?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Sunny Teacher, Aug 3, 2008.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2016

The statistics on impaired driving are staggering and terrifying. We have had a few high profile cases here recently and I have had a number of conversations with my students and with my personal children (who are young adults) about why they think this continues to be a problem in spite of all of the publicity. Some of what I have read suggests that the harshest penalties and maximum jail time are reserved for the "most severe" cases--multiple (10+) charges of impaired or driving under a license that has been suspended because of impaired.

2. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 20, 2016

I dunno, but my mom works in the town court and has quite a few "regulars" and repeat offenders.

Sometimes people come to court and try to make the defense of "I drive better drunk than I do sober." or "It was <holiday/birthday/special event>! What was I supposed to do? Not drink?"

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2016

Ultimately it's up to the board of Ed. You are nontenured as a first year teacher so you can be let go easily with little recourse.

4. Firstyearmistake

Firstyearmistake New Member

May 1, 2016

So I was told that I will not be rehired because of my dwi in the state of NJ. My principal did not want to let me go and strongly urged me to continue my career choice of teaching. I plan on doing so as I really have learned from my mistake. However, some new questions have come up. Since it is in NJ it is not a crime or a felony. On applications, there is the question stating, "Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense other than a minor traffic violation?" It's neither a minor traffic violation nor a criminal offense. I want to be straightforward with my new potential employer, but I also don't want them to rule me out immediately. Any help or suggestions on how I can move forward from this?

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 1, 2016

I think you need to consult a lawyer on this issue. Every district I have ever worked for has required an applicant to divulge dwi'/dui's. Good luck.

6. bros

bros Phenom

May 2, 2016

Talk to the court that handled your DWI - they can tell you what to put.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

May 2, 2016

I'm going to second Pallas' suggestion. Spend the money, talk to the lawyer. You are right - the DUI is not a minor traffic offense, but you are going to need to be prepared to answer that question, especially if the DUI is the sole reason you were let go. Some things you can figure out yourself, but sometimes you really need a lawyer's knowledge and guidance. I think this is the time to listen to the lawyer. Good luck.