Getting a teaching job with a DUI?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Sunny Teacher, Aug 3, 2008.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 25, 2015

I would think there is a chance... you could find a route in.

Let's face it: sub teaching is in demand, so I would think they'll open the door GLADLY to a person who looks the part, even with 2x DUIs.

Once you're in, then it is all about proving yourself I would think. If in doing your job, you get positively noticed, it would lead to them wanting to hire you. And at that point, the P potentially wouldn't even look at your appliation (i.e. transcripts, criminal history).

2. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 25, 2015

My district hires some of its great subs, but there is no chance it would not look at all required information on an application. I doubt you would even make the cut to sub with this background check.

3. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 25, 2015

Really? I just think about some of the dregs I see walking into classrooms as sub teachers, and I can't imagine them turning away a bright candidate even with that sort of history. (Though, as I type this, I suppose it is an issue they would NOT blindly gloss over. With all the stuff that always seems to go on with teachers, making poor decisions... e.g. fraternizing with kids).

Not many people want to sub. The pay SUCKS. So the main people who are willing to do it are people who are dented cans in some way (i.e. questionable criminal history). It isn't mainly stay-at-home housewives and retired teachers anymore. They need good subs.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 25, 2015

Different areas, I guess. My district and those around us have lots of great subs. Ohio has a plethora of universities, and many graduates are looking for jobs and sub to try for an in.
    Most districts around here actually only use certified teachers as subs.

5. teachmeplease

teachmeplease New Member

Jan 25, 2015

I'm thinking it depends on the district, and probably some other variables. I already have several years of experience as an After-school Teacher, Sub, Instructional Assistant, and over 7 years in tutoring. I'm definitely prepared to have my own classroom, and confident I can do a good job. I have an MA in another field, but want to get another in Education. Mayb even my Doctorate. Perhaps waiting to get my MA is a worthwhile idea - at least before I throw my hands up and give up.

Only then will I consider a career change.

After reading multiple threads, and blogs online, not to mention news articles here and there, I know teachers get hired with multiple DUIs and/or DWIs. Some, even with a Felony DUis/DWIs. Again, my DUIs are Misdemeanors.

Will I get hired, I don't know, but I'm willing to try my best. I'm even willing to relocate.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 26, 2015

Relocation might be what you have to do in order to get a job.

7. enata23

enata23 Guest

Feb 16, 2015

I am not sure if relocation can help you get a job. Most of jobs which require background check often go for nationwide checks as they also know this loophole. My cousin who is a junior accountant with a DUI lawyer has told me that it’s quite impossible to get it removed from your record once you are convicted.

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 16, 2015

I don't think people are saying to relocate because the OP could get the DUI off of their background check. They're saying relocate because if the OP were willing to work in a less desirable location that may be desperate for teachers, that district may be willing to look past a DUI. I think there are rural areas of my state where this might be possible.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Feb 17, 2015

I wish someone with a couple of DUI's would chime in and say whether or not they were able to find a new teaching job with those on their background checks. The fact that we don't ever get that kind of concrete answer makes me suspect that the DUI's do keep prospective teachers from being hired, therefore they no longer post on this forum. I do believe that there is a difference between a DUI acquired after hiring, where it has not been a factor in the hiring process, and the person with two DUI's looking for a job. In the first case, the school may insist on counseling about alcohol abuse as a term to remain employed, but in the second case, the hiring committee simply moves on to the next candidate.

Personally, as a parent, I would NOT want the school hiring teachers with multiple DUI's, or even one, if I had my druthers, nor would I want them hiring teachers with arrests for possession of drugs, including marijuana, and I don't really care much for the "but I was young and stupid" reasoning. We were all young, and yet apparently some are more stupid than others. Please, lets hire the brightest, the ones who know using recreational illegal drugs is against the law, bad for your health, and dangerous to the welfare of others. Although alcohol is legal after the age of 21, driving under the influence is illegal and shows a blatant disregard for the law and the welfare of others.

If I am going to vent a little, let me go on to say that I have never understood how a department of teachers could go out on Friday after school, kick back a few beers and appetizers, and then get in their cars and drive home. It has always been a mystery to me how educated people think they are above the law, entitled even, because they just made it through a week with students. In a group of 15, I was the only one still drinking soda, and I had many Friday's to observe the behaviors. The excuse that it is only beer never worked for me. I like a drink sometimes, but I will never take it and then get behind the wheel. If I don't have a designated driver, I don't drink. I value my life, and the lives of strangers who might be impacted by my bonehead decision to drink and drive, so I refuse to have one for the road, and then get ON the road.

OK, vent done. Sorry, but DUI's and drug use are incredibly stupid and self centered behaviors and I would like to think that schools can find qualified applicants who can clearly see that. Maybe they can't - makes me glad I am not in HR.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2015

:thumb:

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2015

It's not 'above the law' to have a few beers, eat and eventually drive....different people have different metabolism. I don't know your colleagues' choices, tolerances or habits, but it's really ok to unwind a bit with colleagues and still make responsible choices even if one has a beer or two.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Feb 17, 2015

Perhaps, but finishing your last beer as you walk out the door always bothered me. I teach science - I know about metabolism, body weights, food in stomach, etc., but even if you are legally DUI at 0.08 percent in NJ, are you that much less impaired at 0.07 percent? As I stated, it is a vent. I could say that the same thing bothers me about a group of construction workers or lawyers engaging in the same behaviors, because it does. I, for one, wish all cars came with the ignition that won't start if you are blowing too much alcohol, but I don't see that as a reality anytime soon. People can kick back, unwind, and hang out with colleagues - no problem. I can't help but feel that no real regard was given to getting behind the wheel after drinking, and it has continued to bother me. I opt out, now, because I don't like the feelings I was left with. I don't advocate that for others, but it is what it took for me not to dread the late Friday afternoons as the drinkers took to their cars.

The rant was personal, and I apologize - drinking and driving is a very personal and tragic occurrence to me.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2015

:hugs:

It's .08, not .8.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Feb 17, 2015

Thank you for catching that for me! My intent was clear, but it sure isn't what I wrote. Wow - a snow day and my brain froze, just like my driveway. :eek: Good thing that my students didn't see that. :rolleyes:

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2015

I feel the exact same way you do.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 18, 2015

Me too. My step-grandfather is an alcoholic. Last time he drank and drove, he went to the liquor store after a stupid fight (while drunk) with my grandmother, managed to drink enough while in the store to get even MORE drunk, forgot where his car was, then started to wander on the side of the road to find his way home. Some cops picked him up, thought he had Alzheimer's/dementia and dropped him off at a local hospital, where the nurses detected the distinct smell of alcohol while checking his vitals, which led to the doctor ordering a blood alcohol level. It was something like 0.29. My uncle drove down there the day after to help him find his car and told him that if he ever was drunk while driving a car ever again, my step-grandfather would be in quite a bit of pain. Since then, he's reduced his drinking a bit, and hasn't drunkenly driven in like 5 years, which is an improvement for him.

17. Firstyearmistake

Firstyearmistake New Member

Apr 18, 2016

I live in NJ and recently got my first (and last) dwi. It is my first year teaching and I'm in a limbo period of finding out whether I will keep my job. It was a huge mistake yes, I am forever regretful, ashamed, and embarrassed. This will haunt me forever. I have spoken to other teachers (not so much at my current job) and a lot say that it's possible to still keep my job, some even say they know teachers with multiple duis that have their jobs still. Just trying to see if any other teachers have recovered from such a terrible mistake. I'm starting to lose hope and have been getting really depressed. Although it is well deserved I just need some hope/help. I have a true passion for teaching, my principal told me that she really wants me to stay but ultimately it's not up to her.

18. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Apr 18, 2016

If you were a person looking for a job and this happened, I would not give you great odds at finding a job. You, however, have a job, which changes things. Schools will seldom hire with the DUI, but once employed, there are things to consider which may help you. Genuine remorse, a willingness to face the music head on, getting help from a psychologist, and possibly going into a rehab program for alcohol abuse may help. Certainly, it may also help if you equip your car, as part of rehab, with the breath analyzer that must be used before the ignition will engage. Many of these things may be a condition of regaining your license, so reasonable. I would recommend a good lawyer - school boards are human, and the spin on the story could be the difference between keeping and losing your job. Obviously, if incident culminated in a juicy story that drags on, or severe injury or even death of passengers from your car, or a car involved in an accident, that can serve to make things much worse.

In my home district, there are teachers with DUI's on their records, but probably had tenure when convicted. Let me say one more time - if you want to keep your job (which would be the best goal), find the best lawyer you can, spend some money and really research possible outcomes, and then consider what the lawyer shares with you. I don't see this as a walk in the park, nor should it be - too much is at stake. But I wouldn't give up without trying every possible way to prove that it matters to you that it happened, and that it is even more important that it never happen again. Best of luck - if there were no fatalities or injuries you were truly lucky, but know that it WAS luck. You can't rationalize it away, or lump it into "everyone does it" because, in truth, there are vast numbers of us who would never drink and drive. Period. Hoping this is truly a one and done, and rehab and therapy may help you truly understand how much worse it could be while giving you hope for a better future.

19. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 19, 2016

In NJ, first DWI/DUI, assuming the BAC was over 0.1 means you lose your license for 7-12 months, $1005 in fines (Plus $1000 a year for 3 years), 12-48 hours of participating in the Intoxicated Driver Program (involves various course and counseling, I believe) and if the BAC was over 0.15%, you get Interlock for 6-12 months after the license is restored (and you also have it while your license is suspended) - you must also pay for the costs for it to be installed, maintained, and removed.

20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2016

I wish you luck with your ongoing battle to keep your job.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the average number of times a person drives after drinking before they get caught.