Getting a teaching job with a DUI?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Sunny Teacher, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

My boyfriend has gone back to school for Elementary Education. A couple years ago though he got a DUI. This was a misdemeanor, not a felony. I'm wondering how this will affect his chances of being hired as a teacher. Obviously a DUI will be frowned up, but will it completely ruin his chances? Do you know teachers who have a DUI and are teaching? He's learned from his mistake, but will the consequences be forever?

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

Wow, I do know in Mississippi they have fingerprinting and run your background. I know in security and teaching that if you have a record of any kind you can not teach or do security work. I am not sure about Arizona I would check it out before he goes to all that trouble. I would call the super. of the district and see.

4. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

Arizona does run a fingerprint clearance. I also know though that Arizona is in need of teachers. I'm hoping a one time (very stupid) slip up won't ruin his chances of becoming a teacher.

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

Texas is about to start doing a finger print check (if they haven't already for the new teachers). However, I had to interview my superintendent for one of my grad courses this past Spring, and we talked about this. He said that they look at the overall record, and take everything into consideration. If it was several years ago, and it was only one infraction, and everything else seemed good, then it would still allow the hire. However, if it was a pretty recent infraction (within the last year or so), or if there seemed to be some sort of ongoing pattern, he would be hesitant to make the job offer.

7. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

They've already started. I had to be fingerprinted in July before they would even process my application for my certificate.

8. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I know in Nevada they do so many fingerprintings, I really wanted to know why I had to fingerprint so many times, they don't change gosh darnet! :)

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 4, 2008

I don't think your boyfriend should count on the fact Arizona presently is in need of teachers to have districts overlook DUI's. I think a frank discussion with his professors and/or a local principal would be helpful in really determining if this will be a problem.

On a side note, if you read these boards long enough, you will find the teacher shortage and teacher need might not be as valid as you and your boyfriend have been lead to believe.

Good Luck

10. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I had to have a finger print check when I got my certification 4 years ago. :)

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2008

As INteacher suggested, there's not a real teacher shortage in most areas (read the job seekers forum). In many districts there are HUNDREDS of resumes for every one opening. Districts can afford to be selective-

The DUI could present a huge stumblng block for your bf. Defintiely follow INteacher's advice to talk to his professors, etc... Is there any chance of getting his record expunged? It's an unfortunate circumstance and one any one of us who stops for a glass of wine after work could fall into and I have empathy for your bf.

12. KDS

KDS Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Yep! finger printing in TX.

I would suggest that you/boyfriend call one of the area teacher unions. They helped me out with my legal problems. Even though i am not a member right now, they gave me information that i needed.

13. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

I know a teacher who had a DUI in California and he had no trouble getting a job there. It is a different state but it offers some hope to you.

14. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

In Mn, you can still teach if you have a DUI on your record. They will however not let you drive the school vehicles.

15. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

Thanks everyone. I will definitely check out the past threads. I know a lot of areas don't need teachers, but I'm pretty sure AZ is still one that needs them.

16. flywild

flywild Guest

Sep 28, 2008

Reporting DUI to school district

:blush:My situation is embarrassing but here it is:

I was hired a few years ago with a DUI that was a year old. I have a good work record but was arrested a few months ago with a second. It turned out to be a blessing in some ways since my life has improved 10 fold. I have been told by a teachers union that PSC does not require me to report it to them. Am I required to report it to my school district? My attorney says under no circumstances should I disclose.

Does anyone have any idea what is the right thing to do????

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2008

IF you are not required to report it, don't. Do get your life in order though- you have been very lucky to have escaped so far relatively unscathed (and without hurting others in the process).

18. teachmeplease

teachmeplease New Member

Jan 22, 2015

Can I teach with 2 DUIs on my record?

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: California and Nevada

Can I teach with 2 DUIs on my record?

Hello everyone, I hope you are well.

Here is what I am going through right now.

I received a DUI 7 years ago. And another one about 4 months ago.

I feel horrible, so please spare me the "soap box" comments. Long story short, I have completely renounced alcohol from my life (even though I rarely drank). In both cases, I was the only one involved, and the BAC was low. Really low.

Now, do you think it at all possible that I might find a teaching job? I plan to work with inner city children. I still have yet to get my credential/masters, and I currently substitute teach. I do have several years of experience working as an instructional assistant as well. I have a strong passion for teaching and I truly enjoy doing what I do. Does anyone know if TFA will hire someone with two duis?

I appreciate your feedback. Thank you in advance.

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2015

I won't soapbox, but you do show a pattern of not learning from past mistakes (and making excuses). I would confirm with the district you wish to be hired in if they will hire you with multiple DUI's.

20. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 22, 2015

I'd wait until you were a year out from the DUI before applying for teaching jobs, just to show that you truly are remorseful. So get your credential/MAT, that should take like 2 years, then you'll be two years away from your DUI, and two years closer to when you can drive a car again. You'll never be able to get your record expunged with two DUIs, but since you acknowledge it was an issue, you have sworn off alcohol for the rest of your life, that you are an alcoholic, you are repentant.

21. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2015

Don't drink and drive! .... I've had friends (yes, plural) killed by drunk drivers.......... :hugs: