Getting a job/Experience

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LovetoTeach1910, Jul 7, 2015.

1. LovetoTeach1910

LovetoTeach1910 Rookie

Jul 7, 2015

Since I have decided to become an elementary school teacher, I would really like the chance to work at a day care or preschool to gain experience and make a little money in the process. My dilemma is that I cannot find any job postings for these jobs on popular job sites in my area. My question is would it be okay to call centers in my area an enquire about openings since most places around here do not post openings?:thanks:

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 7, 2015

Yes! They're more likely to ask you to come in for an interview since they don't want to deal with going through online applications and whatnot.
    What I always do is email them my resume with a short cover letter in the email body. I've gotten calls from people who tell me that a position has just opened up, blah blah blah, which explains why they don't have a job posting up online yet.

4. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Jul 7, 2015

Nothing wrong with doing that, many centers have fairly high turnover and have positions opening up regularly. That said, have you tried Craigslist? There are plenty of listings for preschool jobs in the Education section in my area at least. Finally, I would advise that you look for independent, non-profit centers and preschools rather than chains. I would also pay a lot of attention when interviewing to the environment of the school, ask about staff turnover, ask about curriculum, and try to get a general feel for the mood in the classrooms. Assuming your goal is to gain experience managing a classroom and creating engaging lesson plans, you want to find an environment that is conducive to that. Please also make sure that you have done some research and are aware of developmentally appropriate practices for the age group you'll be teaching. Even if it's just a stepping stone, preschool is very different from the elementary environment in many ways and you will find yourself struggling if your expectations and activities are not on par with the developmental level of your kiddos. Hope that helps, sorry for the essay and good luck!

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 7, 2015

DEFINITELY Yelp & Glassdoor the centers/schools before you apply. You don't want to end up at a bad one. (I've worked in daycares for 5 years in 3 different centers. Just because they pay the most & they are super fancy, does not mean they are the best)
    If you have specific questions, let me know..
    There are good ones out there & there are bad ones so.. :)

6. LovetoTeach1910

LovetoTeach1910 Rookie

Jul 8, 2015

Thanks for the advice! I guess my next question is how can I show my enthusiasm and love of education even though I have little classroom experience?

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2015

Another point about working in a preschool is that in California you will need early childhood units. Only some of your teacher education will count. Another option is becoming a special education aide.

8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 8, 2015

Unless you are a dislikable, unfriendly person, I don't think you'll have any trouble getting hired. Do you have classes related to ECE/Education/Child Development/Psychology? Do you have some experience with children?
    Smile a lot and be friendly/nice and give good answers to scenario questions
    You'll be fine.

9. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Jul 8, 2015

My first job in education was as a special education aide and I highly recommend it! It's a great way to get some experience and work with more of a variety as far as age groups. After school care at school sites is a great option as well.