"Genius club" in the classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by aya, Jul 26, 2007.

1. aya

aya Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

I am a computer teacher k-5 and our school is finally putting 3 computers in each classroom in addition to our mobile labs and hardwired lab. Some of our teachers requested NOT to have computers in their rooms at all because they are so uncomfortable with them. Even though some don't want them, everyone is getting them. I am hoping to encourage teachers to use the computers often (they are new imacs!) I can't imagine just letting them sit and take up space. To encourage the teachers to use the computers I created a new blog www.ilearntechnology.com and updated my homepage http://tenkely.org and created a teacher page http://tenkely.org/teachers. I think that the main reason for resistance is not knowing what to do with them and more importantly, they aren't comfortable with them, so they don't want the added frustration. I have the kids once a week for computer lab time. I am considering starting a "Genius club" for students who are interested. I would give them special trouble shooting training for the computers and be sure they are very familiar with all programs loaded on the class computers. My thought is that this would give teachers immediate support in their classrooms for computer help taking some of the pressure off of them. What do you think of this idea, is there anything like this in place at your school, how does it work? I would love your :2cents:

3. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

My initial response as I read was that I didn't like the title of "genius club." That said, the idea itself sounds very good. Your multiple venues of presenting information (the websites) are a great idea. The fact that each class WILL have computers also helps integrating technology. Perhaps you could work with your administration and offer an in-service on the computer programs/usages?

I really do like the student trouble-shooters. I just didn't like the title (to me, it sounds too presumptuous). STS's (student trouble-shooters) may work, Computer Squad, Techies, something fun like that perhaps. I think the option is wonderful, as it allows students who love computers and electronics to showcase their talents, and allows others who are interested to learn more. Students also love being the "expert." Excellent idea!

I will begin teaching in the fall in a high school, so at this time I have nothing to offer in terms of examples and experiences.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2007

I don't know for sure, but the OP may have thought to use the term "Genius Club" as a play on the Apple Store's "Genius Bar". If you've never been to an Apple Store, this is the in-store tech support area.

I think having a group of kids who can do some basic tech support is a super idea. This could be a great oulet for some of the kids who are really into computers to get inovlved with the school.

5. src1105teach

src1105teach Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

At the school I did my student teaching, they had Techno Awards. Each month they would highlight someone that used technology in their classroom and present them with an award. It was a cute way to motivate teachers to use technology. It also let other teachers know that they could go to that person if they needed extra support using that piece of software. (PowerPoint, Excel...)

6. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

I love the Genius Club idea! I also assumed the name was a play on Apple's Genius Bars and thought it was perfect. However, I can understand the concern about the name - not everyone is familiar with Apple Store and some teachers, other students, admin, etc. may not think the term "genius" is appropriate.

7. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 26, 2007

I think it's a great idea but I too wasn't too sure about title. I didn't assume (or know anything about) Apple's Genius club. As a teacher, I like the idea. As a parent, I like the idea but a lot of parents may not know about Apple's club and therefore, misinterpret what this club is and you don't want to open that can of worms. Maybe a different title would suffice.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 26, 2007

:sorry: I agree with changing the title. I think it is only funny/cute if you "get" the reference. It sounds like few of the teachers who would really need the help know enough about computers to understand the reference. I do think it is a great idea and could be worded in a way to not offend the teacher (i.e. this will prevent you from having to take time to answer student questions etc...)

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2007

I agree with changing the name, but not for the above-mentioned reasons. Other students may find fault with a certain sector of the population being set apart as geniuses, even though the "genius" students may not be honor students. I hope that made sense. Why not make it some form of "Geek Squad?" The term geek squad has become a good thing, instead of the old Steve Irkel connotations. In today's techno world, it is cool to be a techno geek!

My only real concern with this plan is that kids who are very computer saavy are also able to create/import viruses, hack into school networks and change grades, see tests, etc. I'm not saying that they WOULD, only that they are the ones who would have the ability to do so. I think that the supervising teacher or tech official will have to be very diligent, and perhaps the student helpers should have to sign an agreement to be held to a very high standard of computer honesty.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2007

Again, I agree with the concept, not the name.

Teachers who need computer help aren't likely to understand what you mean by the name.

And setting some kids aside as "genius club" probably isn't a great idea, regardless of your motive.

But having your own tech support team, as long as it's incredibly well supervised, would be a good thing.

Of course, in addition to their computer saavy, these kids would also have to be respectful of the authority of the teachers they were helping. I've seen a few kids who were given similar positions, and somehow they think they've been promoted to adjunct teacher or something.

11. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Jul 26, 2007

Yes, they would! We had an 8th grader who hacked around the district server to blocked websites and showed everyone else how to do it. He then emailed our district superintendent to brag. Things were not good for us.

If your school has user accounts, be sure they are kept up to date, and that students can't use a "guest" account.

Otherwise, student tech support sounds great!

12. aya

aya Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

Mrs. R got it right, I was working on a play of Apple store's Genius bar since we are an all Mac school.

13. shantroy

shantroy Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

I love the idea. As a SMART Board trainer I've often done trainings with students where I teach them how to use the SMART Board and they inturn help the teacher out when s/he is having difficulties.

The kids love it! I often get emails from students saying today I taught Mrs. Smith how to do this and that, it installs such a sense of confidence in them. One school also has students conduct half hour training sessions twice a month over a lunch period. It's usually attended by both students and teachers.

I think it's a great idea when students are able to use their knowledge to help others.

14. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

Love the idea, but not the name. I'm not familiar with Apple Bar...
    and I'm sure there are parents and students who aren't either. I think you have a wonderful idea!!