Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by chemteach55, May 23, 2014.

1. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 23, 2014

I am not posting this to open a political can of worms but cannot verbalize my frustrations anywhere that people "know" me without betraying my cousin. Due to his occupation, he cannot truly come out as a gay male and even most of our family does not know. He and his partner (of 28 years) were married last weekend. They have been together for just about a year less than my husband and I have been together and still cannot announce their relationship in a truly public manner. Not that I nor them are naive enough to think that everyone does not know-they have been living together for 25 years. My cousin has been my best friend for my entire life and I adore him and his husband and see no difference in their relationship and my own heterogeneous relationship. Those of you who "know Me" (via Facebook" are aware that I am a very conservative Catholic but even I can accept the fact that we do not choose to fall in love with the opposite sex or someone of the same sex but we fall in love with the person who is best for us. He once told me that I am one of the few people that sends them one invitation to events addressed to both of them. Most people send to invitations and it hurts their feelings. Since I cannot say it on Facebook, I am saying it here (even though they will not see it). Congrats to my cousin and his new husband--I hope you have many more happy years together and that one day you can marry in a very public ceremony and I can be by your side.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 23, 2014

Congrats to them! I'm glad that they've got you in their life.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 23, 2014

Congrats to them!! I hope that there will be a time where they can publicly express their relationship.

5. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

May 23, 2014

Congratulations to them!

I don't know if they should judge those who send two invitations too harshly -- if they didn't come out I might do that just not to be sending the message that I know something they might not want me to know.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 23, 2014

Congratulations to them and love to you!

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 23, 2014

Congratulations to them!! I hope we can one day live in a world where people don't have to hide who they are.

:)

8. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 23, 2014

Congratulations to the grooms! Though times are changing more slowly in some parts of the country than others, we are all headed to the same destination. A place of love and tolerance.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 23, 2014

Congrats to them; so glad they have you as a blessing in their lives.

10. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 23, 2014

Thanks to all--I shard this link with my cousin and his husband and the fact that there are others who are as happy for them as they are made their day.

3 Sons--It is not the people who do not know that upsets them about the invitations--it is the close family members that do know and will not acknowledge their relationship that upset them. My aunt and uncle will tell people that my cousin has a "situation" and cannot acknowledge that their son has found his one true love who just happens to be the same sex and the separate invitations to the wedding were sent by his niece.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 23, 2014

So happy that they have both found the person with whom they can share their lives!

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 23, 2014

It is going to be very slow to change where I live--in the deep South in good ole boy land, I wish it would change one day. My cousin lives in another state because he did not want to embarrass family members and quite honestly it hurts me because I do no get to see him as often as I would like and it hurts.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 23, 2014

Congrats to your cousin and your cousin-in-law!:celebrate:

14. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

May 23, 2014

I'm lucky to live in a very diverse neighborhood where we have many husband and husband (and wife and wife) couples - many pushing baby strollers, by the way. Please send the grooms love and congratulations from California. There are many of us who don't question their love and fully support their union.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 23, 2014

This warmed my heart! :love:

I hope to marry my partner one day soon, so this thread tugs at my heartstrings.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 24, 2014

How thrilling for your cousin and his sweetie, chemteach, and blessings to you!

17. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 24, 2014

Thanks so much for all the well wishes--my cousin said that I have a great group of friends. Let me explain about the not knowing due to his job. Everyone he works with knows and adores my cousin and his husband. But he works in sales in a southern state and makes a lot of money and it is something he has always wanted to do since he was a kid. The people (clients) who do not know and it is truly none of their business but it would unfortunately make a difference in the amount of money he brings home.

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 24, 2014

How wonderful that he has your support! Congratulations to them!

19. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 24, 2014

Congratulations to the grooms!

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 24, 2014

Congratulations to the grooms!

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 24, 2014

Congrats to the grooms! May they be blessed with years of future happiness.