garage sale ettiquette question

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by sevenplus, Jul 20, 2008.

1. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2008

I've been to several garage sales recently of retired teachers. At some of them I come across materials that are stamped with the school name "Property of __________ School."

On principle, I do not buy any of these items. And I have been tempted to casually mention it to the teacher holding the sale. It just really, really bugs me because it indicates that they have taken school property and are selling it.

Is it ever practice in your school to stamp items that you have spent personal money (and not been reimbursed) with a stamp that says it belongs to the school?

I've been teaching for a while and at this point it is hard to keep track of what I bought with my money, what I bought with school funds, what was in the classroom when I got here, what was passed on by teachers who were leaving my grade level, etc. But when I pack up my things for the final time (many many years from now :haha:) I do intend to at least see if a school stamp is on it. And if it is, I'll leave it behind.

Do you ever come across this? What do you think/do?

3. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

I always find it interesting when I'm at the Goodwill and find books with school or library names stamped on the front. I'm actually surprised they try to sell it, unless it has a discarded stamp.

My first year of teaching I went through everything and left all the stuff with the school's name printed on it. When unpacking at my new school, I found some things with my old school's name (overlooked) and drove it back!

4. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

I have a bunch of textbooks in my basement that my school was going to throw out. When we adopt a new series, we sometimes give books to Catholic/charter schools. If no-one wants them, we are told to take what we want, then the students get to take what they want, then whatever's left gets pitched. We don't stamp discard on anything, we just get rid of it. I've wondered about selling the stuff I don't want anymore. I didn't pay for it, but I didn't steal it either!

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 20, 2008

I'd give these people the benefit of the doubt depending on the items being sold. I know my school library is always weeding out books and letting the teachers take them. Same could be true of other things as well. If the school has decided to trash them and a teacher rescues the items for his/her own use, it technically doesn't belong to the school anymore. Knowing myself and other teachers would rather lose a limb than watch a perfectly good star chart be thrown in the dumpter, I can see this might be the case.

6. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 20, 2008

I have a bunch of stuff with my former school's name on it - nothing was stolen, but it was my first REAL teaching job and I went crazy with the school stamp. It is all stuff I bought with my money, so I took it.
    At my current school, the library discards old books each year to make room for new ones and I also have quite a few old library books that I will take with me if/when I go to a new school. That may not be the case with every teacher, but give them the benefit of the doubt.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2008

I would just assume it was material that the school no longer wanted. I have dug plenty out of the school garbage. :)

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2008

I have things with a former school's name stamped on it that I consider mine because I rescued them from the "throwing this junk out" pile.

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2008

I would have no problem buying them for all of the reasons stated above. I think it's always best to give people the benefit of the doubt.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 20, 2008

I wouldn't think much of it. Most of the stuff I bought when I worked with preschoolers said the center's name on it and the age group because I had to differentiate it from stuff that belonged to the church. I left most of it, but I would have taken it if I intended to use it again.

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008

This is what I think. I have many things that the school was going to throw away and I saved. I guess I'll remember to cross it off if I should ever want to sell it.

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008

This is what I think. I have many things that the school was going to throw away and I saved. I guess I'll remember to cross off the name if I should ever want to sell it.

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2008

I'm all for giving benefit of the doubt. These were very nice and fairly new hardcover books with the school stamp in them, though. I'd love to work at the school that would be tossing that stuff!

I'm going to assume that she put the school stamp in her personal books, I guess.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 21, 2008

I think the vast majority of teachers are good and honest people. There comes a bad apple (excuse the pun) every once in a while, but the nature of the profession really does draw folks who have good values.

15. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 21, 2008

I have tons of stuff with school names stamped in it that was discarded or given to me...some schools I have no idea where they are. :) Unless it is a brand new item, and by that I mean issued this year, I would not assume it was appropriated.

16. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 21, 2008

Our school (a private one) has tons of stuff that the public schools here, and actually a couple of other states were getting rid of, and asked us if we wanted them. Also, the library here has several sales a year when they sell books that are outdated or are so old that they are no longer using them, and I always pick up some from those. Also, the public school district here has book sales sometimes when they have a huge surplus or are upgrading to a new printing...
    so, I would not generally have a problem buying those items at a sale, as they may have been obtained in one of the above manners. just my :2cents: :)

17. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 21, 2008

We moved to our new school in June and before then the principal told us to go through EVERYTHING and give things away, take things, and toss things that are not used in the current curriculum. So I have tons of books/manuals that I either bought from the school book sale or took from my classroom rather than throwing them away. We didn't use a discard stamp, either. I am having a yard sale soon and won't be selling any of the items- I gave away several that I decided I didn't need to a local homeschooling group. I just felt like it would be in bad taste to sell them, but I would purchase items from yard sales like this because I know that the items are likely things no longer needed by the school they came from.

18. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 21, 2008

I have never come across that but I don't think I'd say anything...I don't know.

I work at a library and we "delete" materials from our collection all the time. Sometimes the girl who puts out the "withdrawn" books from our collection (for students, staff and faculty to take) sometimes forgets to stamp withdrawn in the books. So maybe it could be a situation like that? Who knows.

19. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2008

Recently I was at a use book store and there were books STILL in the box! the school never used hem and they became discards