Garage $ale TREASURE - books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by EDUtechnologist, Jul 23, 2008.

1. EDUtechnologist

EDUtechnologist Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

I was at a garage sale collecting books for my first grade classroom. When I arrived home with my precious treasures, my husband took a look at my goodies and found a book that he really liked. He said it looked like a first edition.

About an hour later he discovered that the book was not only a first edition but extremely rare and in excellent condition!!!

My 10 cent treasure was sold only 4 days later for $210.00.

Check your garage sale books at half.com to see if you found a treasure before you put it in your classroom!!!

**IF you have found a treasure.... Share it with us here!!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  3. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jul 23, 2008

That's awesome! Congrats :) You should go sell it...

...to make some money...

...to buy more books for your classroom :lol:

4. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

EDUtechnologist

Wow... I did the same thing. I found a first edition of Moby Dick. While I was checking out the authenticity of the book, my son rolled over the cover with the computer chair.:eek:

I threw it away afterwards because I didn't want to know if it was the real deal. I'll just believe I lost 50 cents.

5. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2008

:( Not a book story, but remember when the Oreo cookies had the contest when the new VW beetles came out? My nanny (my mom's mom) was on a trip and had put all of her cookies into a ziploc bag. Well, she was looking at the cookies and saw the word "car" on one of the cookies..... but she didn't have cell service to call anyone to find out if it was something special.....a couple hours down the road she finished the bag of cookies... so even though she had saved it when she first saw it... she ended up eating it..... My nanny ate a car :(

6. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 23, 2008

Congratulations. I think I am going to pull out all my kids books and books that were given to me... and see what I can come up with.

7. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 23, 2008

WOW! How cool!!!! I never have thought of ever checking my books to see if they are worth money!

I do have a neat story though.
    A friend of mine sister borrowed a book out of my resource pile titled How to teach with Calvin and Hobbes. She had borrowed it for a few months and I finally asked if she was done with it, etc... Well she had left it at her sister's house (my friend) and they had recently moved. She knew it was in a box-somewhere... I decided to look it up at Amazon to see if I could maybe order another one, so they could keep it (they are Calvin and Hobbes freaks! (she even named her son Calvin!)) I was a little (okay a lot) shocked at how much a replacement cost would be-over $800! YIKES!!! Needless to say, she found it quickly and I put it under lock and key at my house. I did not bring it back to school. Who knew a teacher book could become so expensive and worth so much!!

8. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

wow! you can buy more books now!:p

9. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

WOW!!! What a fun find! And perfect for selling and adding more discount books to your library too :)

10. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 24, 2008

Wow! Would never think to look. What was the book?

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 24, 2008

Wow-I guess so! Now I'm dying to know what is in this book!!!

http://teachingwithcalvinandhobbes.blogspot.com/