Furniture

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by giraffe326, Nov 10, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2014

Long story: (scroll for the short story)
    I come from a recliner family. Everyone has a recliner they love and use the most. When I went to buy my first one, I knew I wanted La-Z-Boy because until that point, I was still using my parents' recliner which was over 25 years old at the time. I ended up finding a reasonably priced couch that matched and bought the set.

We are now 7 years later, and my recliner broke. It has been pretty well used. I did work 80+ hour work weeks for most of the 7 years, but I live alone, so I typically eat and grade papers in it. So it has been well loved.

La-Z-Boy has a lifetime warranty. One of the other reasons I went with them. Well, apparently labor isn't covered. When I called, they said it was $109 for the service call and repair. I wasn't pleased with the price, but I am going nuts without the foot rest (I put papers on it while grading :lol:), so it was worth it.
    Well, I called to confirm my repair appointment. That is when they told me that the $109 was for the first hour only. Every 15 minutes was an additional $30. They estimate the repair will take 2-3.5 HOURS!!! That is $229-$409!!! :dizzy: :eek: I can buy a new one for not much more than that. Needless to say, I am very angry with La-Z-Boy. I guess I'm going to buy a new recliner, since I'm not spending that on a 7 year old recliner.
    Since I have had it with La-Z-Boy, I'm looking for brand recommendations. My sister was given a cheap $350 recliner as a baby shower gift. She really only sat in it while nursing and it is falling apart. She's had it for about a year. So I know a brand to avoid. Anyone have brand suggestions?

Short story:
    I'm angry with La-Z-Boy and need a new recliner. I'm looking for a durable brand so that I can purchase a replacement.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2014

I've also come to the conclusion that I need to quit teaching and become a service tech for La-Z-Boy. $120 an hour. Does a surgeon or lawyer even make that?!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2014

Lastly, I am sending an angry e-mail. The customer service rep I spoke to on the phone was an idiot. Every time I was ranting about $120 an hour, she kept telling me it was "No, it is $109 for the the first hour and $30 for every 15 minutes after". Hello, idiot. 30x4=120!!!
    I'm going to see if they will ship me the part since the part is covered by my warranty. I will see if I can fix it myself. I'm pretty handy. If not, both of my parents are as well. And my brother in law. Someone should be able to fix the thing.
    (A bar broke in half. It might even be able to be welded.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 10, 2014

Mom has a Lane and two Broyhill. I like the Broyhill best.

6. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Nov 10, 2014

Interested also

Sorry-no recommendations, but we have had it with LA-Z-BOY too. I think the quality has gone way down. We bought 2 full size, reclining sofas about 7 years ago and 1 broke after 5 years. They said it was a 5 year warranty. Not a bit interested in helping us. We are still using it, but can't use the footrest. I hope you can find something durable.

7. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Nov 10, 2014

I prefer gliders to recliners. Maybe you should check those out.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 10, 2014

Never a fan of La-Z Boy myself...maybe none of their styles interested me. For something you're going to sit on regularly, I wouldn't go w/ Ikea either.

I've had leather furniture for the past 20+ years & that was way before I had my dog. In all those years, only got new leather furniture 1x & that was when I moved out & didn't take the existing leather furniture w/ me, so it lasts & lasts. I got my latest red leather loveseat from Mathis Bros. I know Broyhill to be a good brand too like Ima said.

My parents got this rattan sofa & chair back around 1989. It's still like new to this day since no one hardly ever sits on it.