Funny/weird things you overhear students say

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RussianBlueMommy, Apr 19, 2017.

1. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Companion

Apr 19, 2017

So when working in class today, the kids were having an opportunity to just talk among themselves at a low volume. This one student says to another "If I could, I would own slaves. Not like in a bad way, but to protect them from abusive plantation owners"................

What have you heard students say that made you do a double take or were make you like "Huh?"

Obadiah and MLB711 like this.
  3. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Apr 19, 2017

"I know Trump's a racist, but I still like him."

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2017

On the day before April Fools Day, I did my pranks on them, one of them being that I left my lights off and stayed out of sight until 30 seconds or so after the first bell. (Usually the lights are on or I'm seen roaming around...I've never been out this year) Outside, they were talking about how whether I had been murdered or if they were going to find blood all over the room....and so much more...it was interesting listening in from just around the corner of the door :p

5. RussianBlueMommy

Apr 20, 2017

Blood bath lol

6. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Apr 20, 2017

Overheard at lunch one day..."My mom said if I drink too much apple juice I will grow an apple tree in my stomach. I know she's right because I drank a whole glass yesterday and I can feel something moving around in my stomach!" (A 7th grader said this)

7. rpan

rpan Rookie

Apr 20, 2017

I asked what would happen if food went down the windpipe instead of the esophagus. The correct answer is that you would have a reflex action of coughing it up or it could block your airways and you would suffocate.

A student wrote that they would not get any nutrition because your lungs could not digest food. I nearly fell off my chair with laughter.

8. rpan

rpan Rookie

Apr 20, 2017

One more for the road.....

I teach MS. A student was reading out loud, to the class, a page about cells and organisms. But instead of saying organisms, he said orgasm. He said it about 8 times but no other student picked up on it thank goodness. I had to bite my lip to keep a straight face.

9. RussianBlueMommy

Apr 20, 2017

Technically, that's true. LOL

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Devotee

Apr 20, 2017

I've heard this too, just from adults, not students...

11. ms.irene

ms.irene Devotee

Apr 20, 2017

This actually happened in my own 8th grade bio class, too! Most of us didn't know why it was funny yet, though...

12. Helena Birk

Helena Birk New Member

Apr 21, 2017

My students use such phrases in their essays and paper works. And all my reaction was "I don`t understand was going on". We live in such tough times when the Internet use all its resources to make an influence on students. I mean they can find anything here, now we can find lab report papers for students on the web very fast. But can we do that 10 years ago?
    So that`s not surprising they say all these things on the lessons.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017 at 8:39 AM
  13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2017

I teach HS and most of the things that I overhear that amuse me are sex related.

My first period is Juniors and pretty much all of them are boys (maybe two to three girls show up). They love to talk about sex and the confidence they have in their sexual skills and pleasing women crack me up. The stuff I overhear them say is beyond funny - and beyond credible.

14. Guitart

Guitart Rookie

Apr 21, 2017

A couple years ago, while subbing, I walked outside to the bus area. Huge mob of kids. I thought it was a fight. It was some kid's momma who came to school to talk smack to a young elementary boy. Before I could get near the two, the boy replied by grabbing his junk and saying to the mom, "Suck my ____ with a Pixie stix!"
    The crowd roared with laughter.

15. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:51 PM

My first grade class wrote me letters when I was on maternity leave. One boy wrote "what did it feel like when the baby came out?" Ummm yeah not answering that!!

16. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:25 AM

A first grade student came in one morning and told me her mom was going to have a baby. Student: "She said it was because she and daddy have been playing a grown up game." I had to step out of the room to laugh!

17. RussianBlueMommy

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:41 PM

Oh my lol. The things kids say, so innocent & funny- especially the littles.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:20 PM

A kindergartner asked me if this, a little nervously: "When you get really old, do you die on your birthday?" Amazing thinking for such a young kid.

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:10 PM

I teach 5th and it's the time of year we teach about puberty. We just did the CA physical fitness test yesterday, which includes the mile run.

Overheard at pick up...

Boy 1 (sadly): My mile time was really bad.
    Boy 2: That's ok! Once you go through puberty you'll be able to run much faster!

Upsadaisy and mathmagic like this.
  20. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:17 PM

Oh, goodness...the things you overhear, or blatantly hear, or are just asked in front of 50+ boys...
    So hard to keep a straight face, but at the same time, brilliantly easy because it's awkward enough as it is teaching it.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  21. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:23 PM

Same with the girls! We (the female teachers who teach the girls) always swap stories with the male teaching team that is in charge of the boys for that time. The questions! The reactions! It's just priceless. I love 5th graders and their awkward innocence. :)

Upsadaisy and mathmagic like this.