Fun way to teach phonics

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by lareed, Sep 11, 2011.

1. lareed

lareed Companion

Sep 11, 2011

I am looking for a fun way to teach phonics sounds (blends, digraphs, long/short vowels) - not the alphabet or consonant sounds. Any ideas? I don't want to just write br- tr- etc. on the board every week. I thought about using puppets but I don't think I can find or think of a new one for every sound! Not a whole activity but a 3 minute deal. Just something quick yet cute!

3. newteacher52

newteacher52 Rookie

Oct 5, 2011

I'm student teacher right now in a first grade classroom. For phonics we do a making words activity from this book. http://www.amazon.com/Systematic-Sequential-Phonics-They-Use/dp/0887245811. The kids love it, each week we focus on a new letter pattern. They have the letters on their desk and they move the letters around to make words. I believe this is their favorite part of the day and I honestly love doing it! I hope this helps.

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2011

I like to sing along to a cd that covers those sounds. I forgot the name of it, but I'm sure you could google something!

5. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Oct 7, 2011

I play "musical chairs" with words that follow the phonics pattern I am working on. I print off small words to put on their desks, and they have out their dry-erase boards and their markers on their desk. I play music and when the music stops they must stop at the nearest desk and read the word and then write the word. I walk around and they read them to me and I can assist them if they have trouble... the kids love it and I love it!

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2011

We worked on ar sounds and I saw a short, 2-minute lesson online on youtube. It was something different, and the kids liked it. It's not something you would do every time, but I think it's nice to change it up a bit.

7. jeweledpoet

jeweledpoet Rookie

Oct 11, 2011

Sounds Fun Phonics at Heidisongs.com is AWESOME! There is a song, dance, and flashcards for many of the common spelling patterns- ing, ink, sh, th, ou, ew and many more..... and the kids love it.

8. jeweledpoet

jeweledpoet Rookie

Oct 11, 2011

Also, you can use Kagan strategies like quiz, quiz, trade. Pass out flashcards with words that have the phonics spelling of the week. Kids should high five to pair up, quiz each other, give compliments, trade, and repeat with a new partner. We do this at least once a day with any skill/subject.