Fun Friday Ideas

Discussion in 'General Education' started by brit2187, Jan 13, 2011.

1. brit2187

brit2187 Rookie

Jan 13, 2011

Hey! I am looking for some ideas for fun free time activities for my fifth graders. Each Friday, students who earned "Fun Friday" get to celebrate by having some kind of fun activity in the classroom. Others go to study hall. I am halfway through the year and trying to come up with something fun and fresh for my kids. I don't mind spending up to $10-15 to have a good time! Here are some examples of things I've done thus far:

- Games & Grub - students can bring a snack of their choice and handheld game and we just listen to music and eat/play
    - Minute To Win It games
    - movie and popcorn
    - extra recess
    - Wii games - I set up two big TVs with Wiis from the gym for students to play

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

3. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 13, 2011

Wow! You're brave for wanting to referree Wii games! The noise alone would send me to the crazy farm! Are you allowed to go outside? How about free play? Or extra PE? Maybe you and another class in your grade level could set up a soccer game or something and keep track of which team wins the most games over two months or so.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2011

My students love to play SceneIt! We also have Karaoke contests.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2011

Oh, card game contests or board game contests are a big hit as well!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2011

How much time are you able to spend on this every week? Is this school-wide with teachers taking turns supervising study hall?

7. brit2187

brit2187 Rookie

Jan 13, 2011

It is the entire fifth grade and, yes, we rotate study hall. We have 45 minutes to entertain!

8. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Jan 13, 2011

My students love "open gym." We go to the gym and set out certain equipment for them to play with. They have the time to do whatever they want with the toys. Some kids dont touch them and just run around, while others go through each item at least once. This allows them to be creative and hopefully work together. If you do not have access to the gym this will not be possible but the kids do love it.

Also, we play team charades. Split the group into two teams and have them act out scenes of something as a team. They are allowed 1 minute to decide what they are going to do, and 1 minute to act out their skit. Its a lot of fun with a lot of laughs and makes the time fly by. We do have a rule where the students may use a teacher to enhance their scene.

Have fun on friday.