Fun Friday activities help!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jeweledpoet, Sep 19, 2009.

1. jeweledpoet

jeweledpoet Rookie

Jul 4, 2007
    Sep 19, 2009

I feel like Kindergarten has become so paper and pencil with all of our standards these days! I try to keep my day to day routine as creative and fun possible, but I want to start making Fridays, fun day. We learned the letter M last week so on Friday we danced to a Michael Jackson song and the kids LOVED it.

I am thinking of pulling out the shaving cream to make the sight words and letters we learned for the week. Maybe play bingo. But I need some more ideas to review our skills for the week.

Any ideas?
  3. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 2, 2009
    Sep 19, 2009

How about a cooking project to go with what ever letter your working on? For example for A- Applesauce.
  4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2006
    Sep 20, 2009

Love the dancing to Michael Jackson's song!!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
  5. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Dec 21, 2004
    Sep 20, 2009

I do fun Fridays although, I consider most days to be fun!:) I try to incorporate some of these things everyday! We do clay, wikki stix, shaving cream, water color, sidewalk chalk, writing in salt (instead of sand) I just put a little cup full on black construction paper and let them write. For watercolor, write the letter m with a white crayon on some art paper and when tell the children you have a secret message or letter and they have to paint to figure it out. We did this with our names at the beginning of the was a HIT! Use bingo dotters to count syllables or words in sentences. Of course, singing and dancing. Freeze dance, bean bag boogie, who let the letters out, etc.
  6. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Aug 16, 2007
    Sep 22, 2009

We go outside (they don't get to do that a lot)
    We do freeze dance sessions
    Musical chairs
    Cha Cha slide and Cupid Shuffle "dance offs"
    We play letter 4 corners

I feel like we are pushing kids way too early. It's like we want them reading before they're even toddlers!
    I try to do quick assessments on letter recog and sounds on Friday, then let them have free choice centers the first portion of class, then our "party" stuff the last part of class.
  7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2008
    Sep 23, 2009

I love FUN FRIDAYS!:cool:
    We've done the following...
    -Hunts; Shapes, letters, peanuts
    -Freeze dance
    -Pajama Day
    -Brown bag lunches
    -BYOS...Bring your own snack
    -Show & tell; bring s/thing that begins with the sound otw
    -Crazy hair day
    -Bring favorite toy/book/coloring book
    -Potluck party
    -Movie day
    -Wear 2 different shoes (I did this just so I can wear my one Rebok shoe. :DI lost the other one during the move.)
    -Pizza party
    -Walk to the neighborhood grocery store for a tour
    -Invites certain speakers or Community workers to share something special with the children
    -Invite parents to come share something about their jobs
    -Dress up day in whatever you want to be when you grow up
    -Last, but not the least, CRAZY clothes day!
  8. teach_kids

teach_kids Rookie

Feb 6, 2007
    Sep 24, 2009

Wow, those are all great days! I feel the same as you so I too try to add as much creativity to each day as I can. I started doing letter of the week and every Friday we bake for that letter. We brainstorm as a class and come up with a food to bake. The kids love it so much that even weeks I don't do a letter, we somehow incorporate baking as well. Then at the end of the year, I give them all a Kindergarten cookbook.