Fun & Creative Behavior Chart Ideas????

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Youngteacher226, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2007

I am dying to change my behavior chart for next year!! I like the green-yellow-blue-red idea of allowing the kids to keep track of their own behaviors/consequences. But I want a more creative way to display this in the classroom. I would love to hear any ideas. Maybes something with animals, bugs, or maybe monkeys. Monkeys are my favorite animal!:D I don't know. I'm open to anything fun & creative.
    Please share some of your behavior management chart ideas......:) :thanks:

3. Leans417

Leans417 Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

A coworker of mine did the green-blue-yellow-red card flipping system, but she had an "under the sea" theme so she made each card a fish. She used a pocket chart to hold each students set of cards.

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 11, 2007

Young teacher 226-
    Since you like monkeys, why not have monkeys in the colors you choose in a pocket chart. Another idea might be to have a monkey for each child, put a brad backwards through each one and bend to create a hook and hang bananas of the colors you want on each child's monkey. Hope this helps!!!!

5. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 11, 2007

My co-worker has each students name on a banana die-cut. She has monkeys with different colors (green, yellow, red, blue) on their tummy. When they break a rule they have to "move their banana" All of us use the system but just adapt it to our theme in our classroom. My kids move their bees to different color hives.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2007

I have a huge traffic light on the wall that my dad made for me (he's a retired art teacher!). Each circle on the light is big enough that I can use mini accents from Trend to move each child as their behavior changes. Last year I used frogs and the kids "hopped" to each color as they were bad. If they got to the red circle, they had to fill out a "behavior traffic ticket" and get it signed by their parents. It worked really well!

7. Youngteacher226

Jul 11, 2007

I LOVE that!:p I even thought that I can name the board, "No Monkey-ing Around!"

Please keep the ideas coming please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Youngteacher226

Jul 11, 2007

I wonder where I could get some large monkey cut outs from???????????

9. Youngteacher226

Jul 12, 2007

I am stuck on the monkey idea.:( I would love to keep getting some good ideas on charts that some of you may have already in your classrooms. Or has anybody seen any charts online, in other classrooms etc?
    I would appreciate any other feedback I can get. :) :thanks:

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2007

I think the new Trend catalog has different monkey cutouts...I don't know how big they are though. I left the catalog at work, but I'll see if I can find them online for you:)

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2007

Check out www.trendenterprises.com and search for monkeys. You will see the accents I was talking about. I hope that helps you a bit:)

12. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

my behavior chart is on the far left side here: http://www.aquemarropa.com/images/fupload/skillboxes.jpg I used cartoon graphics (SpongeBob, Powerpuff Girls, Curious George, Scooby Doo) and had the following areas for students to move their clothespins:
    (TOP)
    Fantastic Day! (Get a letter written to parent + sticker)
    Great Work (Get a sticker)
    Good Day (All students start here each morning)
    1st Warning (-5 minutes of recess)
    2nd Warning (-10 min of recess, move to another area/room)
    3rd Warning (-15 min of recess, write letter to parent/teacher)
    Go to Office
    (BOTTOM)

This system was EXTREMELY effective for me in 1st & 2nd grades, and I created it after modifying several other teachers' charts to meet my students' needs. I firmly believe students should be able to show improvement during the course of the day, even if they're on task and well-behaved. I wasn't so happy with the recess deductions but it worked well for those groups of kids. This system was mirrored with a paper chart that students filled out daily reporting their behavior, which was to be signed nightly by a parent/guardian. I have the chart available as a Word document if anyone wants it... and it's bilingual!

13. Happy Lady

Happy Lady Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

behavior

I realize this plan is a little different than what you are using but some readers may find it helpful. I use a conduct and work habits folder. On one side are all the rules and work habits with a letter. (Example: A. Following morning procedures.) I list every area that could be a problem. Last year, I went to the letter Q! At the bottom, I have a grading scale. (Example: 0-3 letters = E, etc.). On the other side of the manilla folder is a calendar. When there is a problem, I write the letter on that particular day. Students take the folders home on Friday and they are signed by the parent and returned on Monday. Mom & Dad know exactly what the citizenship grade will be on the report card. I found this to be a very effective behavior plan.

14. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 13, 2007

15. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 13, 2007

I have the ocean theme in my classroom. On a BB I divided it into 3 sections with ocean boarder. I have a fish with each child's name on it at the top of the BB next to a bigger fish with a smiling face. The second or middle section I have a big fish with a strait face and on the third section I have a big fish with a frown face.

16. smile

smile Companion

Jul 13, 2007

Mine is a cut out of bears (big die cut). I have 5 colors. 1st is Pink "super;" 2nd is green "good" and everyone starts on a good day; 3rd is orange "uh-oh" (warning), 4th is red "time out" and last is black notify home/send to anther class/principal (depending on what the child did). I put ther name on clothes pins and the kids move their clips up or down (thoughout the day... even the last minute of school).

17. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 14, 2007

arrgh, I have no idea how to attach files to private messages! so if you go to this link you can download the behavior chart I described for 1st/2nd grade that allows students to move up and down and uses cartoon graphics. It is bilingual since I had a dual language class, and is color-coded by language. Everyone had a clothespin that started on Good Day each morning.

The behavior chart was used in conjunction with our weekly behavior sheet. I shrunk down the image and had a column with it for each day of the week. At the end of the day, students had to circle their behavior and write down any comments about it below. Their parents had to sign this sheet each night and I checked signatures each morning. It was rare for more than a couple students to get to Fantastic Day or 2nd/3rd warning, so it made both extremes more significant. The Fantastic Day letter home was a template that I made that said, "Today ______ had a FANTASTIC day! He/She was respectful, hard working and a super 2nd grader! Congratulations! Ms. N"

18. blkirsh

blkirsh Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

For the traffic light idea -What grade do you teach? I like the idea but I have an issue with publicly displaying everyones behavior as kids will label each other as well as themselves. If they go to yellow can they earn there way back to green? How does it work throughout the day?

19. Youngteacher226

Jul 15, 2007

I teach 2nd grade. I do personally think that it is okay to display behaviors throughout the day because how else will a child know what direction their day is going withouth any reinforcement or something to look at for reference? I'm not one to just keep repeating myself, "Well, John, you know you are not having a good day." Or "This is my third time talking to you, get your act together!" I post what each color means right next to the chart so it is self explainatory. No questions or explanations needed. The parents are informed on the procedure as well.
    But yes, if a child gets to yellow or any other color, they can "work" their way back to green before the end of the day. In other words, they are in charge of their own day. They are responsible for their own behaviors, not the teacher.:)

20. blkirsh

blkirsh Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I will be teaching a K/1 this year coming from 3 year in Pre-K. How has your experience been with children that struggle with impulsiveness? Do you have those students that are always seemingly in the yellow or red? If so is there anything you do to help that child in addition to the stop light? I know my age group just from a developmental standpoint are learning the skills we want them to exhibit in the classroom (especially those that are in school for the first time) and I want to positively reinforce their successes. I guess I want a way to make it a positive as opposed to a punishment or negative. Does that make sense?

21. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 15, 2007

since my school is doing stars as a theme i am planning to make a vertical chart and a star or maybe a rocket cutout for each child. My theme is "reach for the stars" so on my chart there will be earth at the bottom, then clouds (stratosphere), moon, U.F.O./space ship, solar system, milky way galaxy. Everyone starts as a U.F.O, and if they make it to the milky way three times they get a mini milky way candy at the end of the week.

i haven't figured out a creative u.f.o acronmyn yet....but i want it to mean someting like present and ready for take off.

hth