Fun classification activity

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Sep 23, 2013.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2013

I just came up with this on the fly while in my 5th grade class today. We've already talked about classification and are now talking about invertebrates and vertebrates. I just thought of Classifying Spongebob! Basically we take all the characters from spongebob and the kids have to decide if they are vertebrates or invertebrates, then what sub-category- mammal, fish, echinoderm, mollusk, etc. It's great because they know the characters and basically all of the categories are covered!!

I'm trying to think of maybe a longer more extended activity, but for now the kids had a great time classifying spongebob :)

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Sep 23, 2013

Cool idea! I used Spongebob patterns of inheritance worksheets that I found online last year to give the kids practice at Punnett squares. Perhaps a bit "old" for them, but I think they enjoy looking at something other than grasshoppers with different length legs and mice with different colors of fur.

4. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Sep 24, 2013

I love the idea! Sounds like fun. The kids will definately be engaged and will probably be looking for as many characters as they can to classify. Using humor and being down to earth is always as bonus in teaching.

5. yelliez

yelliez New Member

Sep 24, 2013

This sounds like a wonderful idea! Something the kids would find fun while learning at the same time which are the important ingredients for any lesson!