Fun 1st Grade Activities With Cutting, Pasting, etc.

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TeachingTy2010, Sep 18, 2010.

1. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Sep 18, 2010

Hi!!!

I am just looking for some fun, cute, and education cutting and pasting activities my 1st graders can do!

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2010

Hmmm... what is the focus? Gross or fine motor skills? Content related activities? Busy work (lol)? Community building activities?

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2010

How about cutting out people, animals or whatever from magazines. They can reinforce these things and them glue them standing up to create 3-D creations of communities or theme related creations. e.g. Cut out wild animals, then use a shoe box for a diorama creation of wildlife, or maybe some zoo animals in a zoo creation. :cool: They can glue on other stuff; more cuttings, real objects or plastic things; for additional theme related enhancements! The sky is the limit for these kind of creations and they will be able to close the boxes for storage.:)
    Rebel1

5. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Sep 20, 2010

something fun, they love glue and scissors. I guess with either punctuation, compound words, sounds, poetry..I am just sick of giving them worksheets lol

6. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Sep 21, 2010

Cutting and pasting works really well with sequencing activities in reading and math. Cutting and putting numbers in order, a greater than or less than sign so it's facing the right way, putting 2 and 4 part stories in order, etc,

You can also di it with phonics. Have them cut out pictures that start with a given letter/sound, or words that have short a in them, etc. and make a collage.

Mixed up sentences can be fun too. They need to look for the capital letter at the beginning and the punctuation at the end. The rest needs to make sense.

Cutting regions of the U.S. from an outline map and gluing them to make a full U.S. map (more fine motor...better for later in the year)

In science, they could cut out parts of a plant and paste them together to make a diagram. They could cut out pictures of different types of animals an glue them into the correct habitat picture.

Just a start...hope this gets your juices flowing. I'd love to read some other ideas! :)