Full Day Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Tara19, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Jul 20, 2004

Where I live, we have always had half day kindergarten. However, this year our school system came up with the idea of full day kindergarten, which at first, i thought was a good idea. They said that this option was completely optional, however, it would cost $15 a day!!! I forget the exact numbers but it was like somewhere around $250 a month! I didn't send my daughter to pre-school, so I though that full day would be good and i would love to send her, but being a 17 year old single Mom, I just can't see how I could afford it. Has anybody ever heard of this? Am I taking this the wrong way?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2004

Are you in a public school? Many public schools are going to full day becasue of the curriculum demands- hard to fit in 1/2 day. Some things to think about: Is the full day option really just after-care and not kindergarten? How many additional hours is it outside of the school hours? If it's not required, seems like day care- not 'kindergarten', and is cost prohibitive, I would skip. Do you need her in school for those hours- will you be paying someone anyway to watch her- if so see which works better for you money wise.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2004

The school I taught at had full day (only one around here), but doesn't "charge" extra for it. It is actually a money saver if they are here all day instead of bus runs for half day. I was quite surprised to see there was a fee. I do agree czacza, if you're going to pay someone to watch her which will benefit your child more. The other thing is she "ready" for kindergarten. Good Luck with your decision!!! :)

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 21, 2004

Tara, keep in mind things can change over the next few years. (I thought your baby is just over 1 year old??) We have had full-day kindergarten here for many years, and there is no fee for it.