Ftce Pre K to 3rd grade science and math

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Michelle.Pittman, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Michelle.Pittman

Michelle.Pittman New Member

Oct 6, 2016

Hello everyone. I just took the pre k to 3rd grade subject area test and passed only the Development and Reading and Language Arts sections. I failed science and math and need to retake in 30 days. What is the best study Guide to use? Already have Xamonline and secrets guides. Any advice will help. Pm me if you want.

3. Ajay

Ajay New Member

Jan 23, 2017

Hello. I see no one replied and I wish I could help, but those are the areas I need help in also. Any tips? Have you taken the test again and how did it go. Please assist me in any areas that you can. I will GREATLY appreciate it. I take test This Saturday

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 23, 2017

Since you've passed the language arts and development sections, I'll guess that the more pedagogical questions hold little fear for you. If I'm right, your chief need is subject-matter review. Try looking for resources that aren't specific to FTCE. Use the FTCE list of competencies as a guide to what you need to know.

Khan Academy, www.khanacademy.org, offers a series of short math videos that go from counting to past calculus. If Khan's style doesn't do it for you, try Math is Fun, www.mathsisfun.com, or look for videos of specific math content on YouTube.

For science, YouTube videos can be very helpful. So can a visit to the local hands-on science museum, armed with your science flashcards or word list to make notes on. Science museum websites often have pages on science topics.

In both science and math, Richard Byrne's blogs, including Free Technology for Teachers (www.freetech4teachers.com), can be very helpful: he posts every day, and a good many of his resources are for subject-matter review or otherwise touch on issues related to math and science.

If you're willing to spend a little money, go to the children's section of the local bookstore and look for books on general science. You want books that show off cool stuff in science using some grownup terms; hands-on activities are a bonus. I can also recommend DK's Help Your Kids With Science and Help Your Kids With Math, which are visual problem solvers from a (somewhat more) adult perspective.