FTCE Middle Grades English...auuuuugh!

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by FLnewbie, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Queet

Queet Rookie

May 24, 2017

No, I am in Escambia County.

2. DAH

DAH Rookie

Jun 4, 2017

Hi Pixie:
    Did you pass?
    Please state the name and author of the FTCE Middle School English study guide that you used for this exam.

Thank you for responding

3. Queet

Queet Rookie

Jun 7, 2017

Hi have you retaken the exam yet? I think I am so afraid of not passing I keep procrastinating on taking it. I definitely don't want the entire summer to go by without taking this test again!

4. Jinotepe17

Jinotepe17 Rookie

Jun 10, 2017

I want to take it again. I took it back in March and didn't pass it. I bought some of the books listed in the bibliography list to see if that helps. I really don't know how to study for this test since there are no study guides. Did you take it again? Have you found any resources to help you study? I want to take it in July, 2017, but I am afraid I fail it again and it is expensive. I wish I could find some good resources to study.

5. Queet

Queet Rookie

Jun 11, 2017

I feel just like you that's why I am afraid to retake it. There isn't any updated study books, I have just been looking at the old book for English 5-9, and this website called reading rockets. Any study material I can find I just brush up on it. Also, my study book for the professional test I am going to look at the section for subject area that may help as well since the test focuses on scenarios and what to teach at the different grade levels.

6. Jinotepe17

Jinotepe17 Rookie

Jun 20, 2017

I was doing some research online, a lot of people seem to have used 240tutoring, have you heard of it? It's about $40, but many people say it has helped them passed many different state exams. I am just wondering if I should try it, but I am hesitant about wasting money. By the way, I emailed you to your yahoo account too.

7. Queet

Queet Rookie

Jun 20, 2017

I have seen it while googling but never tried it or know of anyone who has. I will look into that one. You emailed my yahoo account ?

8. Queet

Queet Rookie

Jun 20, 2017

I just looked at that 240.com and I found something where they give you test strategies and also let you take a glance at the practice study guide it doesn't look too bad!

9. Jinotepe17

Jinotepe17 Rookie

Jun 21, 2017

I am sorry, I thought it was you who had emailed me to my yahoo account, but it was another gal. Anyway, it looks like a lot of people have had positive results with 240dotcom. I was thinking about trying it for $40. There is another website called wwwdotftceprepdotcom. They have a bundle of tests for like $50. You can also buy an individual test for like $17 which is what I did a few months ago. They give you a written portion of the test and a multiple choice portion too. You can have the test timed just like if you were taking it in the test center. I didn't feel the multiple choice portion was anything similar to the test so I didn't buy more tests from them. I think you are allowed to take the test 3 times and then it expires, but they don't give you any tips or strategies. I haven't worked on the written portion of the test so I can't comment on that. You can look into that one too to see if you prefer that one. I hope this helps. I really need to take this test next month in July and I need to pass it. I can't afford to loose another $200, it's too expensive.

10. Queet

Queet Rookie

Jun 21, 2017

I know what you mean. I think I am going to use what I have plus the strategies off of the 240.com because they look helpful and see what happens. With the writing section there are a lot of free websites that you can type in that will be a refresher for that. One is, http://www.broward.k12.fl.us/talentdevelopment/news/ftce/la6-12/9.doc. Keep me posted and so will I.

11. Jinotepe17

Jinotepe17 Rookie

Jun 23, 2017

I will keep you posted. I bought the 240tutoring packet yesterday. They make you take the first practice test before having access to the study guides to see how much you know. I got a 66% on the first section, but there are 4 sections. Then you have 2 more opportunities to take the practice tests, but they suggest you study before taking it a 2nd. time and a 3d. time. I downloaded 4 study guides for the 1st section and I am going to review the info. before I take it again. I am really hoping this will help me because I don't want to loose another $200. Good luck too!

12. Queet

Queet Rookie

Jun 23, 2017

Yes, keep me posted, please.

13. knights2006

knights2006 New Member

Jul 3, 2017

The 240 Tutoring packet is excellent for getting through the multiple choice, and I past it with no problem the first try. However, it does NOT cover the essay portion and that is what is getting everyone. I have less than 20 days to RETAKE this thing, and there doesn't seem to be a study guide or example of a good essay found anywhere online. I'm $300 in with a job interview just around the corner. I'm teaching 11 years at the elementary level and am just looking to move up. Anyone have any advice on getting past the essay portion?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Queet likes this.
  14. Queet

Queet Rookie

Jul 3, 2017

Did u use the 240tutuoring to help you pass the musk title choice that's what we were discussing previously? There's a link I posted that may help with the essay portion, from Boward county. You could also try googling passing the essay 5-9 English and some sites will come up.

15. DAH

DAH Rookie

Jul 4, 2017

[QUOTE="knights2006,
    Hi Knights, what kind of questions are on the MC section?

16. knights2006

knights2006 New Member

Jul 5, 2017

Yes, got it, thanks. Wow, where's that been hiding?! Can't believe there's not much else out there to help. Thanks again.

17. knights2006

knights2006 New Member

Jul 5, 2017

Many are situational scenarios and how you would best accomplish teaching a given concept. I strongly advise using 240Tutoring, it was most effective. DON'T waste your money on the so-called study books on Amazon, particularly the bright yellow one, or the "flash cards."

Queet likes this.
  18. Queet

Queet Rookie

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:39 PM

Thanks, I am going to try it bc even the practice questions and the study strategies they give seems helpful.

19. Queet

Queet Rookie

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:40 PM

Hey, how had the 240 studying been going, are you finding it helpful?