FTCE Math 5-9: A journey from start to finish

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by MiamiMathMan, Jul 18, 2014.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2016

People, please do not post actual specific test questions on A to Z. The test companies monitor sites like A to Z to ensure that actual specific test questions are not being divulged, and they can and do take action against the posters - including revoking passing test scores.

2. cicib

cicib New Member

Jul 19, 2016

Hey All,

I;m scheduled to take my exam tmrw. It is a bot nerve wrecking since MATH is not my best subject. I have a few questions:
    1. Can we bring our own calculators?
    2. Is there a conversion sheet given to us?
    3. Are the formulas given to us?

3. MrsFlorida

MrsFlorida New Member

Jul 19, 2016

I took the exam today and passed. It was my 2nd attempt. I used these sites and found them very useful! The pd portal site - the ese one. It has a math 5-9 test review. Also there is a wiki space math 5-9 test prep site. If you need the exact link you can PM me.

Oneonly54 likes this.
  4. MrsFlorida

MrsFlorida New Member

Jul 19, 2016

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 19, 2016

One way to get a grip on the formulae and conversion factors is to find one or more things in your own everyday life to which to relate them. You can measure a box of tea or chocolate and work out all the dimensions and all the formulas. (Feel free to find or construct or even imagine a box with really easy dimensions.)

Oh, and please learn your formulas as equations (that is, they contain an equals sign) rather than expressions. That is, the formula for perimeter of a rectangle isn't 2l+2w, it's P=2l+2w; the formula for area of a rectangle isn't l•w, it's A=l•w; the formula for volume of a rectangular solid (that is, a box) isn't l•w•h, it's V=l•w•h; the formulas for circumference and area of a circle are, respectively, C=π2r and Ar², and so on.* Do this for two reasons: first, the P or C or A or V at least tells you whether it's perimeter or circumference or area or volume or whatever that you're dealing with; second, if the sneaky test maker gives you the perimeter or circumference or area or volume or whatever and expects you to work out one of the dimensions that gets you there, you can drop that perimeter or circumference or whatsis in where its variable goes, and then just solve for whatever variable is left.

You may also notice, in the process of doing this, that every area formula has something squared in it, and every perimeter or circumference formula doesn't. Hint, hint, hint.

*Both equations C=π2r and Ar² are supposed to show the Greek letter pi, and the area formula is supposed to have a superscript 2 after the r. If they didn't come out that way, I apologize, and would someone please let me know what they look like? If they did come out right, hooray! We can finally write superscripts and subscripts on A to Z!

6. Oneonly54

Oneonly54 Rookie

Jul 19, 2016

T

7. Oneonly54

Oneonly54 Rookie

Jul 19, 2016

No study sheet u have to know the formula by heart And they provide a calculator

8. Eneida

Eneida New Member

Jul 27, 2016

Does anyone knows where to find help for the FTCE GK Reading. I failed it 2 times and I need to pass it by the end of this year, I have REA and Cliff notes but the test is much harder now with a three sentence incomprehensible questions.

9. BicoastalBabe

BicoastalBabe Rookie

Aug 11, 2016

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  10. BicoastalBabe

BicoastalBabe Rookie

Aug 15, 2016

I have taken this test twice & failed. The Xamonline study book for middle grades does not adequately prepare you.I mean it does a great job with preparing you for the math problems but for starters the FTCE test doesn't ask questions in the same manner the book does nor does the study guidebhave instructional questions. I had,what seemed like,loadssss of those questions.Which is the "best" or "better" type stuff. I hate questions like that.Either way, I'm debating if I want to pay another 220 or not.I may pull from a few more study resources & give it a final go.

11. BicoastalBabe

BicoastalBabe Rookie

Aug 15, 2016

I failed twice & totally agree with you. Loads of instructional
    Questions!

12. Oneonly54

Oneonly54 Rookie

Sep 2, 2016

Hello here is the link for more study help www dot fldot nesting dot com
    /PDFs/General%20Knowledge_TIG_3rdEd_DOE122815 dot odd
    They are not letting me post the website so I had to tweak the website

13. Oneonly54

Oneonly54 Rookie

Sep 2, 2016

And it's not nesting it's fl.nesinc.

14. Oneonly54

Oneonly54 Rookie

Sep 2, 2016

Sorry and last dot is pdf not odd
    Stupid autocorrect lol good luck

15. AngelTrovab

AngelTrovab Rookie

Dec 12, 2016

Hello , I found this thread and thought I would post . I have attempted the FTCE 6-12 math twice and failed and the FTCE 5-9 math once and failed . I purchased exam edge and have practice books. The 5-9 had a lot of instructional questions that are difficult if you have no background in math . Any suggestions of other websites or study material ?
    - frustrated and confused aspiring teacher

16. GroovyMathSista

GroovyMathSista Rookie

Dec 12, 2016

There is a wikispace that is a Math 5-9 study aid. If you google Wikispace FTCE Math you should be able to find it. Also, kutasoftware offers free worksheets so you can work through problems. I subscribe to study.com (paid membership)which you can search for the specific area you're studying. I'm currently trying to pass the Math portion of the GK test. I failed the Math 5-9 last July but will keep trying. I'm not natural at Math but really would like to teach it. Mathway.com (paid membership)allows you to input any equation and will show you the steps that it takes to get to the answer. I use to homeschool so I use some algebra textbooks to break down the concepts and study.com has some great lessons on multi-step word problems. Maybe you can get access to some 8th & 9th grade textbooks? Let me know if you have any questions. Keep at it- you'll get it. I know it's so frustrating.

17. GroovyMathSista

GroovyMathSista Rookie

Dec 12, 2016

I also just found the FSA Math Test practice that might help... another post suggested practicing anything Common Core. I googled FSA Math sample practice test.

AngelTrovab likes this.
  18. AngelTrovab

AngelTrovab Rookie

Dec 13, 2016

Thank you so much for your reply ! What about all the teaching questions . Some about assessments and some what would you do in this situation ? As far as reacting to students . How would I go about studying for these questions ?

19. GroovyMathSista

GroovyMathSista Rookie

Dec 13, 2016

I would go find older additions of the study guides at the libary and keep taking the practie tests. Also, I found those topics in the study dot com website. You could join temporarily for free.

AngelTrovab likes this.
  20. AngelTrovab

AngelTrovab Rookie

Dec 13, 2016

Have you had any success with this test ?