FTCE K-6 Exam

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Einstein223, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Einstein223

Einstein223 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014

Hello! I am studying for the FTCE K-6 exam and having a difficult time since they changed it in May of this year and there are no current study guides. I know how the test has changed and what the new competencies are but having a hard time finding resources to study. Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated!!!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 9, 2014

Which competencies have you most concerned?

4. teach2014

teach2014 Rookie

Dec 10, 2014

Took it October this year and passed firs time. I utilized Cliff Notes. I thought it was rather tough but Cliff Notes helped with formatting. The test was more about applying the information i.e. math, where the student went wrong in their computation as opposed to merely knowing how to compute.

5. Einstein223

Einstein223 Rookie

Dec 10, 2014

TeacherGroupie- Honestly all of them, I just don't feel very prepared because this is not what my primary training is in. The field I am qualified to teach is either not offered or there are no jobs available so I am having to change subject areas rather quickly and without the proper training that I would be more comfortable with. I had hoped I would be ok using study guides until I can get back in school but since there aren't any current ones, I feel even more under prepared!!

teach2014- I am using Cliff Notes as well, even though it is the older version. Congratulations on passing. Hopefully it will help me as well. Thanks for the info!!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 10, 2014

Einstein223, hugs. If you give me some idea what content has you concerned, I can probably offer some guidance that will help.

If there's a Costco in striking distance, you might see whether it carries the DK/Smithsonian Knowledge Encyclopedia among kids' books for the gifting season. It's not so helpful on math, but there's a fine big illustrated section on science concepts and a pretty good look at history.

7. Einstein223

Einstein223 Rookie

Dec 13, 2014

Thanks so much for the tip, I am going to look for the book right now!! I am just feeling overwhelmed and underprepared! Not to mention the amount of pressure I am under to pass it. It is a lot of information to remember and most of it is content I haven't studied since I was in school myself. Math is probably the area of most concern since it has always been my least favorite subject. My main concern with social sciences is trying to remember all the dates.
    Thanks so much for your help :)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 13, 2014

For history, recall that history is story, first and foremost. If you can make sense of the sequence of events, the dates will be much easier to keep track of (and, on many elementary teacher tests, knowing the date to the nearest quarter century and knowing what else was happening will suffice: the big US relocation of the 1930s was the Dust Bowl rather than the Trail of Tears, because that was FROM Oklahoma, not TO Oklahoma, it is part of the story of the Great Depression, and it wasn't primarily a relocation of Native Americans). The Web is beginning to bloom with quick cheeky videos on history, and you'll find a number of them if you rummage a bit around Richard Byrne's blog Free Technology for Teachers, www.freetech4teachers.com.

For math, try the quick videos on Khan Academy - I can never remember whether that's .com or .org or .net, so you get to Google that: they're sequenced and build on one another, which is handier than it sounds, so I recommend starting more basic than you think you need. Use the list of competencies to help you figure out where to stop.

9. Einstein223

Einstein223 Rookie

Dec 15, 2014

Thank you!! You have been very helpful and I appreciate the resources and tips. I'll be looking into all of them. I don't have a Costco membership but I did find the DK Encyclopedia on amazon! Thanks again!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 15, 2014

You're welcome.

Another important tip is to get in the habit of finding uses for what you're studying. Do math with things in your environment: this is easiest with measurement but possible with everything else (I once devised an exercise that involved deriving a linear equation from the menu at a fast-food restaurant). Look for science as you cook (cooking is chemistry: consider the egg) or walk (forces and friction!) or garden. Think about sneaky ways in which the history you're studying sheds light on what's going on in the world today (oh, and another pro tip is listening to NPR as you drive). Treat medical-waiting-room magazines as chances to practice reading comprehension, grammar, and art/media analysis... If you find what looks like a neat connection, bring it here and we can talk about it.

11. Einstein223

Einstein223 Rookie

Jan 6, 2015

I passed all 4 sections of the FTCE K-6 Exam!!! Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions!!! Now I just need to pass the Professional Educator Exam...any recommendations for a study guide for that exam? TIA!!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 6, 2015

Congratulations!

13. mickapoo

mickapoo Rookie

Jan 8, 2015

I took the K-6 SAE today and passed. However, I have to say that what I thought was on the test- and what I studied- very little of it was on the exam. For example, the Science and Social Science subtests had very little actual science and history/political subject matter - it was more about teaching concepts/methodologies. I was really thrown for a loop.

14. Einstein223

Einstein223 Rookie

Jan 12, 2015

Thank you!!

15. Einstein223

Einstein223 Rookie

Jan 12, 2015

I agree and that is why I was so worried about this exam because I wasn't sure what to prepare for. Congratulations!

16. lmanning@spccs.

lmanning@spccs. Rookie

Mar 1, 2015

lorandym
    I need help in getting the right study guide for the FTCE k-6 can any one PLEASE HELP ME

17. lmanning@spccs.

lmanning@spccs. Rookie

Mar 1, 2015

I have taken the test several times I keep missing by points. Can any one tell me what study guide I need to pass the ftce k-6

18. Browneyez53

Browneyez53 New Member

Mar 23, 2015

I'm in need of help passing the ftce. I have no time to waste. Just took it and did not pass. I'm feeling it was the math and some of the reading / language arts. Lots of questions about ways to assessment students. Please help I have one more chance in May.

19. NasaCow

NasaCow Rookie

Mar 24, 2015

If you fail a subsection in the FTCE, check out our score report and there will be a page with the competences broken down and tell you what you had trouble with. Remember, a passing mark is about 70% (I am unable to post URLs but if you want to see the score yourself search for FTCE maximum minimum to pull up the pdf). Hope the knowledge helps a few of you and don't give up!!!

20. cathie

cathie New Member

Nov 12, 2015

I am having a hard time passing math too. I will not have my job as an access teacher if I do not pass it. I even lost points for not being certified in k-6 on my observation. I could have been highly effective. Any suggestions I have used cliffnotes and flashcards.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2015

For math, try Khan Academy, www.khanacademy.org. Each short video explains a math concept, visually and verbally; you can watch the video as many times as you like, and each video links to both practice questions and the video that covers the next concept. Use the list of competencies to help you figure out what content you need and where to stop.