FTCE English 6-12

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TheConspiracy, Mar 29, 2006.

1. soos

soos Rookie

Oct 29, 2012

I'm currently entering the Praxis 2 English 0049 and Math 0069, and I don't know what materials will prepare me well. I got the middle school praxis 2 by anita and cliff notes test prep are those enough is there other materials that can help me out as I really want to pass those exams as I'm really weak especially not in school for over 6 years
    thank

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 29, 2012

Welcome to A to Z, soos, and welcome to this thread. Go to the first page and work your way forward: you should find a post or two to which some useful glossaries of literature and dramatic terms and the like are attached. Be sure you know the terms in them well enough that you can use them in analyzing literature or composition. If the definition is unclear to you, use the Internet: try searching for the term on Answers.com, or searching Google for lesson plans on the topic. Don't ignore threads on other Praxis II English tests or, for that matter, other states' tests: the knowledge and skills required to do decently on one of these tests don't differ radically from one state to another.

I'm assuming that 0049 is a test of your subject-matter knowledge rather than your skill in teaching the subject matter. My advice doesn't in fact change much either way: one HAS to know and be able to use the technical terminology of literary and nonliterary analysis.

As for the math, start by looking at the threads on math tests here. California's single subject math test is very challenging, but people who discuss it have raised good points and suggested good resources that are applicable to many tests on many levels.

And do ask questions!

3. soos

soos Rookie

Oct 29, 2012

My exams will be in VA , I think I found the documents of the glossary literary terms, glossary of drama terms and so on I downloaded them now thanks so much.
    I'm entering these exams as Thats the subject which I'd like to teach my priority English the Math is my back up, as I know the English is hard, but I'll keep trying it and not give up but I just wish to pass it the first trial to start my career program license
    thanks

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 29, 2012

Where did you learn English?

5. soos

soos Rookie

Oct 29, 2012

I actually live in VA that's where I learned English, but currently I'm abroad for a while and I'll be back for the exams

6. soos

soos Rookie

Oct 29, 2012

The reason I mentioned the English is hard as its literature and I'm not good in it at all

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 29, 2012

What's your goal in taking 0049?

8. diablosub

diablosub New Member

Oct 31, 2012

All:
    Thanks for the information! I am taking subtests II, III, IV this Saturday and have used these study guides (supplemented with my own). I have passed Subtest I with ++++, but failed III with a 207 score. I have a few specific questions regarding Subtest III:

Both sections of the constructed response returned the comments s,d (support and depth/breadth of understanding). I quoted the original writings extensively in my responses, so I don't understand the lack of support mentioned. Also, my feeling is that the best way to show the depth of my understanding would be to use more of the literary terms (hyperbole, satire, tone, metaphor, etc.) Any suggestions are appreciated!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 31, 2012

Welcome to A to Z, diablosub. What's your background in English?

10. diablosub

diablosub New Member

Nov 2, 2012

I don't know where my response got to...there was a message that it would be reviewed before posting?

Anyway, my power supply died in my computer which has hampered my preparations somewhat.

I took a few college courses in English, 28 years ago. I have subbed for the last 5 years in all subjects, passed the CSET in PE and the CTEL in the last two years. I am a stickler on grammar mechanics and believe that I will do relatively well on Subtest 2. I have some theater and public speaking experience. I think that my biggest problem on Subtest 3 is that I hate to analyze literature--I just like to read good stories!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 2, 2012

Sounds promising, diablosub. Those technical terms - hyperbole, personification, and the terminology of grammar and composition - are in fact the tools of the trade of literary and nonliterary analysis.

Go back to the sample questions and answers: see what, in terms of phrasing and coverage, separates the strong answers from the less strong ones.

12. CSET helpwanted

CSET helpwanted New Member

Dec 12, 2012

I'm one of the unlucky ones that passed the first three sections but not the fourth. I put a lot of pressure on myself to do well since taking the CSET means flying from Europe to do so. So I just got another plane ticket and registered for the January exam. Thankfully I have this testing session left before I need to pass for my program. I got four check marks for section IV and a total score of 193. I did not get any marks for areas that needed to be improved specifically. It's hard to remember exactly what I wrote so therefore hard to know what I might have missed in answering my questions. Basically all I've seen is to stay on topic, use the correct point of view, use terms related to the field and to use examples from the text as support. I think I did this. Maybe I didn't but either way I didn't do it well enough. Is there anything else big picture wise that I'm missing?

13. Born2Teech

Born2Teech New Member

Dec 13, 2012

Hi DramaLady -- do you think you can forward your study guide to me? It seemed most helpful to your successful completion of the SAE English 6-12 exam. I literally just received my letter of eligibility this week and I am anxious to get going on studying for this test. I want to take it within the next month and a half or so...do you think that should be enough time to study?

14. ViennaG

ViennaG New Member

Jan 29, 2013

CSET ENGLISH PREP HELP

Hi All,
    I have found this forum very helpful so far, and I am happy I have came across it. I have some more questions about passing this test still. I am taking all four subtests in a month and I have to pass all of them at once in order to enter into the credential program at my school of choice this fall. I am a liberal studies major with an english concentration. I just recently converted to pursing an english credential recently due to my love of literature. I have taken some courses, those being:
    English writing composition course
    Linguistics
    American Literature
    Childrens Literature
    Women Writers
    And a poetry class that focused on Romantacism and Victorianism works.
    I am still in much need of study materials to make sure I cover all of the material on the tests. I have downloaded Elmers notes and will be going over the sample questions and responses on the CSET website. Are there any other study materials I should be aware of such as the Cliff book, Sparknotes ect. I am in need of more study material. Thank you for your help in advance.

15. LALion

LALion New Member

Feb 3, 2013

This thread alone completely demonstrates why I love teachers. Thank you all so much!! Will update on how the studying and test go.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 3, 2013

Feel free to ask questions, LALion.

ViennaG, the coursework you've got should be very helpful for Subtests I and III (especially if the composition course delved at all into the pragmatics of writing) and for a good deal of Subtest II.

17. KATeach

KATeach New Member

Feb 17, 2013

Hello everyone!

I have gone through all 46 pages (whew) and picked up some great advice. I'm taking the Praxis II 0041 on 3/14. Haven't had an English class in 11 years and haven't had a Lit. class since high school. (breathing) Yes, I'm overwhelmed and wondering if this is all too much!! I'm most challenged in the Lit. department as well as Rhetoric. I'm ready to devote 2 hours on the weekdays and 8 hours Saturday and Sunday.

Now I just need a strategy ....suggestions?

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 17, 2013

You've given yourself a month, KATeach: that's a good start. Wikipedia is your friend (and if you're nervous about it being open source, access it via Answers.com).

I regret profoundly that Christina Myers-Schaffer's The Principles of Literature seems to have gone out of print, but if you can find it used, it might serve you very well.

19. Tehescmarts

Tehescmarts Rookie

Feb 17, 2013

Made a study glog

I am new so I do not think I can post the url for the English 6-12 glog. But I made one and it was helpful to me and might be to you. I have since taken the test but have no idea if I passed. I have not added anything onto the glog in regard to what I actually saw on the test. This is just information I gathered through the Internet in my attempt to study for the exam. It contains links to practice in literary analysis, quizlet flashcards, the practice pdf file.

As one knows it is time consuming finding good links and this was a place I could consolidate my findings. If you have further helpful links I could put them on the glog.

Perhaps you can do a search for Tehescmarts edu glogster english literature. When I do this I do not get the actual glog but at the bottom of the page of the glogs that do show up for Tehescmarts there are links to my last 5 glogs and currently the English Literature is the last one I made and so first one showing. (Run on sentence!)

I will share the URL if I ever get permission. I hope it is helpful!

20. Tehescmarts

Tehescmarts Rookie

Feb 17, 2013

Wow! This is a great site and also looked at the Elmer page. I wish I would have thought to look here (A to Z) a long time ago.