FTCE English 6-12

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TheConspiracy, Mar 29, 2006.

1. sunshinejj

sunshinejj Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

hi everyone, congrads to all that have passed exams they set out to take, especially english 6-12. i have been having trouble passing that exam, taken it twice and can't seem to get it. it presents more scenarios then testing knowledge of terms an so forth. i have the FTCE study guide, is there another guide that proves to be more helpful. the essay isnt the problem, the mutiple choice questions are.

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 6, 2009

Multiple choice a problem? Hm. Here's an exercise with the study guide you've got: Pick a question about a scenario and cover up its possible answers; pretend it's a short-answer question and answer it, starting with a label for the scenario and for the grade level, if any, mentioned in the question; then look to see which of the possible answers is most like the answer you came up with and how it differs from the answer you came up with. Repeat with other questions.

Pay attention to grade level, and make sure you know the state standards for the different grades: often the possible answer that is true for working with sixth graders doesn't do so well for working with high school juniors.

3. Jdr1776

Jdr1776 New Member

Mar 13, 2011

FTCE ENGLISH HELP!!!!

I have no idea what I should pay more attention. I took the practice exam and only missed 2 for the English 6-12 exam. I just want to pass this exam. Any suggestions??

4. teachfan

teachfan New Member

Apr 25, 2011

I am also taking it on April 30th for the same subjects as you! Good luck!

5. can'tquit

can'tquit New Member

Jan 24, 2012

Hello Teachers and Striving to be Teachers!!!
    Has anyone recently taken the FTCE English 6-12 Exam. I am set to take it in February. I have passed the GKT, Mathematics and now I need to pass English 6-12 to finish my Masters degree in Secondary Ed. I saw on the state website the test ask a lot of scenario type questions. I would like advice on how to approach the essay..when they ask for critical approach method to the language and elements of the text what exactly are they referencing to? Thanks All!!!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2012

"Elements of the text" usually include protagonist, antagonist, minor characters, figurative language, imagery, diction, attitude, point of view, and the like.

"Critical approaches to literature" are also called critical schools: if you will, lenses through which works of literature have been viewed over time, such as reader-response criticism or the New Historicism; a decent overview of critical approaches to literature is http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/virtualit/poetry/critical.html.

7. can'tquit

can'tquit New Member

Feb 15, 2012

Hey Teacher Groupie!!
    Thanks for the help. My exam is this friday and I have figured out what elements are and thanks for the link.

8. jbostwic

jbostwic New Member

Mar 4, 2012

Thank you for the guide!

9. Mish

Mish New Member

Mar 5, 2012

Retaking the 6-12

After reading this entire forum, it seems that the test hasn't changed much over the years. I took the test in January of 2012, but unfortunately found out exactly 4 weeks later that I did not pass. I had a score of 193/200. I remember being completely lost as to what to write about when it came to the essay. The essay was first without the option to do the multiple choice questions first (which usually help me in essays since they often cover terminology). I don't think I used any critical approach or terminology, I just started writing out of fear of running out of time. I am taking the test again tomorrow and have spent all day today reading the forum and taking notes on things that have been suggested to help me. Since I have gotten so much help here I am going to share how I felt about my retake and what strategies seemed to help me. Most of that will matter more once I get the results though, I am sure. I can't wait to finally pass this test so that I can start looking for a job, I don't feel that I would be looked at without passing the test so here I go again! I will report!:cool:

10. dea451

dea451 New Member

Mar 6, 2012

needing help with the essay part of the ftce english 6-12 exam any help would be great

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 6, 2012

What about the essay task (which I don't recall clearly) has you feeling unhappy, dea451?

12. andreadana

andreadana Rookie

Apr 10, 2012

Well once again after a 6 month break I am attempting cset english 1 AGAIN. This will be my 6th time. I have all the other three and for some reason I can not pass this one. Any new helpful hints for 2012? My scores have all been either 210 or 216, so I know that I'm close, but I HAVE to pass again. Someone help me. I beg of you :)

13. Conquistador

Conquistador New Member

Apr 30, 2012

Hello A to Z!

New to the site and to the career, was wondering if you could possibly recommend any study tools for the Humanities and Foundations of Reading MTELS.

The site looks wonderful from what I've explored! Thank you for making the resources avaialble!

-C

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 30, 2012

Welcome to A to Z, Conquistador! How are you generally as a test taker?

15. Conquistador

Conquistador New Member

May 7, 2012

I generally fare well but can struggle to be clear and explicit in my explanation of short and long answer questions

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 7, 2012

Okay, Conquistador.

First, an aside: this thread happens to be for exams of English, and one is expected to employ a moderately literate style: full sentences, paragraphs, reasonably correct mechanics, and so on. Any advice as to how to write will be calibrated to the English exam.

Exams in other areas generally allow bullet lists and the like. In other words, the point is not to write pretty, but rather to show off content and ability to reason with it. You don't have to (and in fact probably shouldn't) repeat the question, except perhaps in a phrase; you don't have to introduce or conclude. What you do need to do is get to the point as you would in discussing the issue with a colleague who knows the field (and whom you'd like to impress favorably) - because said colleague is the sort of person who is scoring these things.

For Foundations of Reading, look for the threads on the various tests of reading instruction methodology in the Other Tests subforum.

17. Conquistador

Conquistador New Member

May 10, 2012

Thank you!

18. GiverofEnglish

GiverofEnglish Rookie

May 10, 2012

Praxis II Content Knowledge: English....

Hello there,
    I was just wondering if there are any specific links for the Praxis II Content English test. I am taking the test in July and I have been taking practice tests in ETS books, etc. but my largest concern is the historical and cultural context parts along with a little bit of the English patterns, structures, forms, and genres section. I was hoping that someone had some helpful study tips or advice so that I can get well acquainted with these areas in my study plan. Thanks so much :)

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 10, 2012

Welcome to A to Z, GiverofEnglish. What's your background in English? What's your history with this test?

20. GiverofEnglish

GiverofEnglish Rookie

May 10, 2012

I am majoring in English at Hollins University and have yet to take the Praxis II exam. I have completed the VCLA and the Praxis I tests. I am now a senior and scheduled to take the exam this upcoming July and have to have it completed before November 1st for Student Teaching purposes. Any help to learning historical and cultural context plus patterns, structures, etc. before taking the test would be much appreciated! I would like to be able to pass it the first time so that I can finally have the feeling of relief!! :)