FTCE English 6-12 multiple choice

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by krose1011, Mar 20, 2017.

1. krose1011

krose1011 Rookie

Mar 20, 2017

I am preparing now to take the FTCE English 6-12 subject area exam. I am currently using some materials from ABCTE. I am so nervous preparing for this. If I am unable to pass this exam, I will lose my certification in June. I really do not know what to study because there are no books that are aligned with the exam. It is extremely frustrating. Has anyone taken and passed this exam? If so, what materials did you use to do so? I am literally super stressed about this

3. Janley

Janley Rookie

May 24, 2017

Hi were u able to find any study materials for the test?

4. krose1011

krose1011 Rookie

May 24, 2017

I actually was able to find some materials that really helped me. I just passed the multiple choice two weeks ago. If you leave your email, I can share the materials that I used

5. Janley

Janley Rookie

May 24, 2017

Omg thank u it won't allow me to post my email address for some reason can you send me yours

6. DAH

DAH Companion

May 24, 2017

Hi Krose. can you post those so that we can all benefit from them?

7. krose1011

krose1011 Rookie

May 24, 2017

I actually purchased a study guide from a doctor of education who takes the exams and creates study guides based on the material that is being assessed. I don't want to post her publication on here. I can email you some of it if you leave your email below. Her book was invaluable for much of the material on the exam

8. DAH

DAH Companion

May 24, 2017

krose1011 okay, thank you.
    Let's see if this will work.
    Please don't use any spaces between the names there, and use the appropriate "at" symbol, and a period for dot.

Thank you so much
    Have a great day

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  9. Mayra Ron

Mayra Ron Rookie

May 27, 2017

Rose I could not find that website. Could you be more specific? Thank you!

Blessings!

10. krose1011

krose1011 Rookie

May 28, 2017

The website for her study guide is http://navaed.com/ they have guides for most of the teacher certification exams.

11. Mayra Ron

Mayra Ron Rookie

May 28, 2017

Oh yes, I have seen it. Thank you Krose!

12. Bryant0220

Bryant0220 New Member

Jun 9, 2017

Has anyone benefitted from using the study guide from the navead website? I'm thinking about purchasing .

13. DAH

DAH Companion

Jun 9, 2017

Yes, Bryant, Krose has used it and said it helped her pass the test. She says she purchased this study guide from a 'doctor of education' who takes the exams and then creates study guides based on the material that is being assessed. That sounds like a winner to me!
    Good luck.

14. Mayra Ron

Mayra Ron Rookie

Jun 11, 2017

I am studying with it now. It is very complete.

15. Mayra Ron

Mayra Ron Rookie

Jun 11, 2017

Krose what did you use to study or to practice for the essay part?

16. Mayra Ron

Mayra Ron Rookie

Jun 11, 2017

Krose what did you use to practice for the essay section of the test?

17. Jazzylanglit

Jazzylanglit Rookie

Jun 12, 2017

Any help with ela 6-12?

18. DAH

DAH Companion

Jun 13, 2017

Krose has passed and flown away.

19. DAH

DAH Companion

Jun 13, 2017

What are you using to study, Jazz?

20. BrownBaby

BrownBaby New Member

Jun 24, 2017

Okay, I just took the English 6-12 test on 6/23/17 and I passed the Multiple Choice and I am waiting for the essay portion. However, I believe I did well. For the essay, google competency/skill #7 under FTCE English 6-12. They have an excellent short guide on how to write an essay in one hour with very useful tips. I highly recommend it. Make sure you choose the write prompt you feel comfortable elaborating on in a literary manner. I must tell you that the Mometrix English 6-12 guide for this test was useless. What is on the test is not covered in this study guide. Do not waste your time or money with it. Instead, like many others have posted, pro-profs dot com for English 6-12 is about the closest I found to what the test. It has similar questions as the test. Make sure you are understand teaching strategies for reading, writing and English. Reading Rockets dot com is excellent for a basic overview of reading strategies. Having said that, many of the questions are common sense. Make sure you READ the questions over, make a choice and mark those questions you are unsure of so that you can review later. While they ask questions about literature, they are very few and the majority deals with contemporary literature. They may ask about Russian authors so study the well know ones. Google Literary Periods and print out a basic over view of the 8 periods (Use a mnemonic device to remember them). I found a PDF with names and basic authors of each period. The grammar questions I had were basic things any English teacher or writer should now. Make sure you can identify Subordinate clauses and ellipsis. Indeed, this test has only 80 questions so you can calculate how many you can miss and still pass. The main thing to do is relax. If you know your craft...you got this. I was pretty nervous reading some post on this site until I found one that was positive about what can be done. No need to take the MC section more than once. If any thing you may have to redo the essay portion, if you are not comfortable with writing. However, if you use the competency #7 I mentioned and follow their model, I believe you should pass the essay as well. Remember, Stay Calm...Test on!!!

Taniere and csdesbonnes like this.
  21. Jazzylanglit

Jazzylanglit Rookie

Jun 26, 2017

Great thank you!