From Primary(2nd) to Intermediate(4th) - help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Starista, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 26, 2014

Good Morning!

This is my first year in fourth grade after over ten years teaching 1st and then 2nd. I am have a difficult time determining what the children can do independently versus what we should do whole group.

For example, in Science and SS I am used to presenting the lesson whole group and then walking the children through the workbook pages. Should I not be doing that as much in fourth? They seem capable enough to read the directions independently and then do the "seat work" on their own.

If you've moved from 2nd to 4th (or something similar) please let me know what your biggest changes to your teaching style were. I know I'll eventually be doing a lot of small group projects and that fourth grade is more about "facilitating" than "lecturing," but I am having a difficult time balancing! Thanks so much. :hugs:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2014

Truthfully, I wouldn't have been doing workbook pages in grades 1-2... science and SS naturally lend themselves to hands on learning: experiments, observations, map making, etc. you could incorporate some of hese experiences in grade 4 as well plus independent research, double entry note taking, mind maps, etc....

4. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 27, 2014

Thank you so much!! :) :love:

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 27, 2014

In fourth grade I did quite a bit of center type work for some subjects. In math and reading in particular I would pull flexible groups based on need. My whole group lessons were short. They love projects and working together. I integrated as much as possible. If we were reading Time for Kids on the Olympics, we would make tables and graphs and do decimals. While I had to cover my curriculum, I rarely used textbooks. There are a lot of great math games you can purchase or make, and many games that just took dice or a deck of cards.

Good luck!

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 2, 2014

I agree! We do Science and SS interactive notebooks, science experiments, hands on observations, creating models, etc.