From Kdg to 9th grade...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by JSIJ, Jun 24, 2012.

1. JSIJ

JSIJ Rookie

Jun 24, 2012

I have taught Kindergarten for the past 8 years (this year was actually a Kdg/1st split). Our district is in trouble financially, so they have had several furloughs. I was to be furloughed this year, but I was able to add secondary English to my certificate. This allowed me to "bump" a less senior teacher. I will now be teaching 9th and 10th grade English, both academic and general. I have not been in a high school classroom since I was in high school! I have been looking at the teacher manuals - OH MY! I have so much to learn.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2012

Wow...what a jump! Best wishes! :)

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 24, 2012

Hi, I think I know you ;) Welcome to the board, I am sure someone can help you get started!

5. JSIJ

JSIJ Rookie

Jun 24, 2012

I think you do, too!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2012

Welcome! That is a large jump, but you'll figure it out!

7. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jul 1, 2012

After 5 years in Kdg I'm also moving to HS.... teaching Bible. I'm spending the summer re-writing the lesson plans which were a shambles, and I like things to be organized. I look forward to the challenge and also wonder what have I done!!! :)

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2012

You're going to love teaching high school!!!! The kids are so much fun. Once you set the tone in your classroom and get their respect, you'll have it forever.

Can we assume that you have a copy of the syllabus? And that, if there's any summer reading, you've already started it? After that, get started on any novels you'll have the kids read this year. The quickest way to lose the respect of your kids is not to know your stuff. They will have read the Cliff notes; you need to know the stuff that's NOT In the cliff notes or the movie. Know how they're being tested on that summer reading, and when, and whether there's already a test in place or whether you're expected to make one up. (If it's the latter, then please make up multiple versions, switching the order of the questions. Other wise, you can assume that kids will come in knowing "a,a,b,d,c...." before they even see the questions.

You'll also need to figure out how to allocate time for the different parts of English-- grammar, literature, vocab, spelling, writing, speaking. I know that in my school, and in my husband's, grammar is HUGE for the 9th graders. You may want to speak to your department chair this summer for ideas there, or perhaps your syllabus does that for you.

9. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 1, 2012

I love the freshmen (and sophomores). The other high school English teacher would rather stick with juniors and seniors and never have to deal with freshmen and sophomores. Luckily, I'm just the opposite.

As previous posters have stated, know the literature you are reading in class inside and out.

My biggest issue is structuring the time to get reading, writing, vocab and grammar all covered sufficiently.

The past five years or so, grammar has taken a backseat in the high school because it's not really tested on the end of the year test (there are about 5 questions out of 75). I've been trying to hit grammar and usage pretty hard but I think vocab suffered last year.

1. Know your stuff

2. structure your time

3. Have a sense of humor

4. Let things go. No one can do stupid better than a freshman (except maybe a seventh grader).

5. If you can, go to things: basketball games, band concerts, community theater productions that the kids are involved in.

6. They aren't always going to have paper and pencils. Decide now if this is a battle you really want to fight. I have a stack of notebooks and unopened paper packages from the lockers at the end of the year that the kids just leave. They use that. I stock my pencil cup with pencils once every nine weeks and whatever I find on the floor I put it in there.

7. For a bellringer, I had a question (or sometimes a picture or quotation) and all they had to do was write a couple of paragraphs each day. I try to comment on them each week. You learn a lot about the kids this way. Some things they would never tell you, they have no trouble writing it down.

**Six-Word Memoirs was one of the more popular assignments in my English classes last year. Smithmag.net and smithteen.com have them. There are also a couple of books: Not Quite What I was Planning and I Can't Keep My Own Secrets. And Youtube has some cool videos up. You only get six words to tell your life story. I typed them up, made them all colorful and pretty and posted them anonymously by class (class of 2014 and class of 2015). The kids loved the assignment.

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 1, 2012

You son-of-a-gun! I'm the less senior teacher being bumped by a K teacher!
    :down:

JK JK...enjoy the move!
    Do consider apologizing to the teacher you are bumping though!