From elementary to high school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Kat., Mar 20, 2019.

1. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Mar 20, 2019

Hi everyone!

I completed my online alternative certification for secondary school. I ended up falling into a position teaching first grade after being a long-term sub for a teacher who never came back. This is my third year.

I'm ready to make the switch to high school, which is what I originally wanted to teach. I'm moving to a new area in a few weeks and it seems like a good time to find a high school job (once I pass the content exam of course) since I'll have to find a new job anyway as I'm moving too far to commute to my current school.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience in going from elementary to high school (or middle, since I'll be certified 7-12). Will I be able to get a job with my only experience being in elementary school?

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated! :)

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Mar 21, 2019

Wow - that's a HUGE jump! I spent a year in 6th (From 12th) and the biggest help I had was a woman from my district who met with me every so often after school and acted as a mentor/work therapist of sorts. I was very lucky - she was amazingly helpful and somebody who knew us both hooked us up- although the district paid her, they didn't tell me her position existed - I don't even know what her position was called. I would highly suggest you ask your district if they offer any help for teachers who make large grade leaps. You might not need it; I found it invaluable. (I'm now back in HS, but learned so much that year that I still use with my highschoolers!)

I think having such a unique work experience will make you a very strong HS teacher. Helping students build their literacy skills in first grade? - That's something you will use again, just on a different level.
    And now you know how their parents probably still see them, even though they might now be over 6 feet tall!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 22, 2019

I went from kindergarten to 10th and 11th grade. When interviewing, stress that the skills needed to have successful management in elementary (organization, patience, routines) are also important in high school. Stress your content knowledge. You'll do fine! I have never regretted that switch!

5. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Mar 25, 2019

Thank ya'll so much! I'm kind of stressing about them asking why I want to switch. My saying "well I originally wanted to teach high school but ended up staying once I was hired on" wouldn't make me sound all fickle and unsure would it? Lol