From 1st to 5th- feeling like a lost puppy!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by ShanaNicole, May 25, 2013.

1. ShanaNicole

ShanaNicole Rookie

May 25, 2013

Hello there! So I have been teaching 1st grade for 3 years (since I started teaching. Though it's been great, it hasn't been what I wanted. I did my student teaching in 5th grade and fell in love with it. Well, I got the best news from my principal who said I get to be in 5th grade next year! Woohoo! So excited, but now I'm slightly scared. They're going from departmentalized to self contained, which is another big deal.

So here's my question-

What are the major skills or standards that are taught in fifth grade? I've looked at all of the CCSS and old standards for Florida, but it's so overwhelming. I'm just looking for a quick summary of the skills for math, reading, writing, science and social studies. I'm going from teaching basic addition to so much more.

Thanks in advance!

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 25, 2013

I have taught 5th grade for 10 years of my 19 years. I also love 5th grade!
    Basic skills in math include: double digit multiplication and division; fractions: equivalent,adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing, simplifying; area of triangles and parallelograms, drawing angles, surface area; decimals and percents
    Reading: more "close" reading and understanding of story elements, first/third person, cause/effect, theme, etc.
    Writing: narrative, persuasive and expository writing
    Science: this will depend on your state. In Ohio, our life science is food chains/webs, photosynthesis, biomes. Energy, electricity, sound and light cover physical science, and earth's resources and stars cover space science.
    Social St.: again, it will depend on your state. In Ohio-federal government, history from Native Americans to Civil war, economics, and regions.
    Hope this helps. I am sure you will do great!

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

May 25, 2013

Congratulations!

One large thing in teachng 5th grade math (especially with Common Core) is that they need a deep understanding of the math concepts. They should be able to transfer their knowledge to various types of word problems and other problems that require higher order thinking skills. You will need to see if the math book you have does a good job with this.

Some things to be ready to teach and have 5th graders know really well:

1. Long division (many will know this, but some usually come in struggling with this)

2. Fractions, fractions, fractions! (They will need to have manipulatives or some other visual way for them to truly understand this.) Fractions are so important at this grade.

3. Decimals (+,-, x, and some division) (see CCSS). Compare and truly understand them.

4. Place value to billions and also decimal place value

5 English measurement, weight, and volume

6. Finding area, perimeter, and volume.

7. Lots and lots of word problems.

8. Not all students will have mastered times and divison facts so practice of this will need to be added along with some time tests.

9. A lot more...see CCSS.

You may want to go to http://www.commoncoresheets.com/ to find good common core math worksheets for 5th grade. It is a great free site.

Good luck to you. :)

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 26, 2013

Oh, and with common core ELA, it is reading much more non-fiction and traditional literature. Like reading rules said, check out the common core for ELA.

6. ShanaNicole

ShanaNicole Rookie

May 29, 2013

Thank you! This is such a big help. I have a lot of studying to do this summer,. haha.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 26, 2013

Look at the FCAT testing specifications for reading and math as well as science! That is preparing me for my move up to fifth grade in the fall from fourth! :cool: