Free Trip for Attending Timeshare Presentation

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 9, 2014

Anyone attend these things to get a free trip at the end of the presentation? I recall going to a presentation yrs ago w/ my parents, but forgot what the free item was.

I've been wanting to go to San Francisco for a few days & voila!...an opportunity to get the trip for free fell in my lap. Tomorrow night, I'll be attending one of those presentations & I'll get a free 3-day round trip airfare & hotel for 2 people for either Vegas or San Francisco & $100 dining gift card.

Normally, I turned down the past few chances to do this, but I'm doing it this time!

3. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Dec 10, 2014

I've never done that, but walking around Vegas my ex-boyfriend and I were hit up at least a dozen times to "sit and listen to this schpeel" and we'll give you tickets to a show. Unfortunately we didn't live at the same address so we didn't qualify.

Sounds like a great opportunity, but what's the catch?

4. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 10, 2014

My uncle did them in the 90s after he got a divorce.

The catch is that you have to pay all of the taxes & fees - for both the hotel and airfare. It usually runs a couple hundred bucks - better than paying over a grand, though.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 10, 2014

Also, there are usually blackout dates that you cannot go. In this case, it's on the holidays. You have up to a year to go on the trip.

I'm choosing SF since my BF & I already went to Vegas a couple yrs ago. I like SF!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2014

We did one when the kids were little--went to Orlando for a few days and then to St. Petersburg for 2 days. We drove from Toronto, so our costs were minimal (except for the fees and taxes, as bros mentioned). You need to be prepared to say, "NO", firmly and to give up a few hours of your trip--I think we were in sales pressure cooker for 3 hours or so.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 10, 2014

My advice would be to google the name of the company sponsoring this and read reviews from others. My son received one of these promotions and after reading reviews he said no way. The hidden fess were at least $500 plus all applicable taxes.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2014

I live by 'nothing is ever free'.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 10, 2014

Yeah, you just have to sit through a 3-6 hour presentation where they used rigorous sales tactics on you, then you have to pay the taxes & fees for the trip and they cover everything else.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2014

I certainly wouldn't have been able to withstand the intense sales pressure if not for my husband (who has worked both in sales and in purchasing). For us, it made a trip to Florida affordable; I wouldn't do it anywhere close to home.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 10, 2014

Make sure you meet their requirements...read their fine print. We wanted to do one of those but we don't have any major credit cards.

Now, we did when we got married. When we were up in Gatlinburg, we listened to a time share presentation and got tickets to Dollywood.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2014

Just thought of this as well--several of the ones that have contacted us were looking for married (or common-law) couples with a combined income over a certain level.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 10, 2014

My uncle would get contacted by them because they thought he was still married - then they'd learn his income (~100k a year) and they wouldn't mind.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 10, 2014

I went to one where they said we'd get a free trip if we attended a cookware demonstration. The cookware was horrible and then we sat with a guy talking about the "free" trip. Yeah, would have ended up costing us quite a bit. We didn't buy the cookware and didn't take the trip.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 10, 2014

Right, the person who set this presentation appt up knows I'm not married. He said to act like we're engaged & to make sure we say we make at least $50K. We also have to each bring our IDs & one credit card (just to show). No problem w/ any of that.

BF & I will be going to this presentation this evening.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 10, 2014

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 10, 2014

I will admit, I do have a morbid curiosity in these presentations, because I consider myself somewhat of a hardass, and I'm pretty good at saying no creatively. :lol: I'm also decent with numbers, and I would love to analyze their analysis.

:rofl:

I've never understood the reviews that say "I had no choice but to say yes". I don't get it. They can't cuff you...so they are holding your discount hostage? Just keep saying no-who can outwit and outlast? :dunno:

18. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Dec 10, 2014

We have done several over the years. We had to pay a small portion for the hotel, and attend the 1-2 hour presentation. It was worth it to us(we can say no)because we got the trip(s)for about 1/4- 1/3 of what it would have cost without the sales presentation.(We have stayed in the state where we lived.)

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 10, 2014

Well, I'm back & I got what I initially came for so that's all that matters. Sure, you're wasting a couple hrs of your time, but it's interesting. They really try to do the hard, somewhat pressuring sales pitch, but as long as you say no, what else can they do!

I figured you'd have to pay something. They want you to pay $100 for a reservation deposit for the "free" trip. Hey, better than paying for the whole thing yourself. But, they did give $200 worth of restaurant dining certs instead of the $100 they originally said on the phone.

In all honesty, I would like to sign up for something like this someday & it IS better than the usual timeshare concept that they used to have yrs ago.

Didn't return to the board to see your post before I left, but thanks anyway!

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 11, 2014

A timeshare does sound cool if it's in an interesting area. I would love to do it if I had the extra money. The problem is that my husband and I don't have enough vacation time that coincides so we wouldn't be able to use it enough to be worth it.