Free planning periods?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrTempest, Aug 15, 2018.

1. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Aug 15, 2018

So, this year we have Fridays as our only free planning period. Mondays are devoted to data meetings, Tuesday and Wednesdays we must meet in our PLC room to collaborate with everyone who has the same planning period. And Thursdays are for professional learning. We are in week two and our teachers are already feeling spent as they are expected to do more with less. I was wondering how your planning schedules look and know if I am the only one with similar planning situation.

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 15, 2018

That's crazy!!! We have a 9 period day, and teach 5 of the periods. We then have a lunch period, a duty period, and two planning periods. I can usually get a lot done during my duty period as well though as the duty usually involves me just sitting in the hall, the cafe, or the media center.

We have PLC meetings once a week. We can either choose as a team to meet before or after school, or to use one planning period a week. The meetings are very informal though, and no one really keeps track of what we do in them so we can get other things done or skip the meeting for the week if we have more pressing issues.

4. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Aug 15, 2018

We have 7 period days. Along with two week duty rotations. There are times I have both lunch and PM duty and won't have a break until 20 minutes after the kids are dismissed.

5. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Aug 15, 2018

As far as the collaborative PLC aspect we have some meeting agenda nonsense that needs to be filled out weekly. Then we have one of our two academic coaches (a waste of resources in my opinion who are only trying to justify their paycheck) sit and essentially babysit us. We were on block schedule this week and she actually had an alarm go off so she could tell us our mandatory 60 minutes of planning were up and we were now free to go.

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 15, 2018

That's real goofy. We have academic coaches, but they are only there to provide feedback on lessons if requested.

We used to have the agenda for PLC, but we got a new supervisor last year and she said it was a waste of our time and to just focus on what we need to do in the best interest of students instead.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2018

Our prep time is our own. If we are called upon to cover a class during that time (usually because of a shortage of subs), the time will be paid back as soon as possible. PLCs are built into the timetable, and any staff (once per month) or divisional (no more than once per month) meetings are held after school.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 15, 2018

We have a planning period and a lunch. We almost never have meetings during our planning period (or lunch) unless we're the ones who requested it. Occasionally we'll have like a pre-conference before an observation or something like that. I can count on one hand the number of meetings I have during a plan period throughout the year. We can be asked to cover for a teacher during our plan in a pinch, but we're paid for it.

I think it would be very stressful to have almost no planning time throughout the week. I'm not surprised they're already feeling it.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 15, 2018

Monday meet with collaborating teacher.
    Tuesday meet with team.
    Wednesday meet with grade-level partner to prep for PLC, which is after school until 5.
    Thursday data meeting with team.
    Friday is pulling kids for extra help.

It’s not all period every time, but something every day.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 15, 2018

If our district bigwigs had their way, every single planning period would be "collaborative meetings." They are obsessed with collaboration. It was a big deal with contract negotiations. One of my friends was on the negotiating team and she said that the district was very callous about teachers having time to plan/prep...saying things like, "Well, it's a salaried job, so if it takes working until 9 PM every night to get everything done that's what teachers should be doing." The union got it so that only one day per week can be used for collaborative planning and the rest have to be teacher-directed planning. There is still a lot of pressure to voluntarily collaborate.

MrTempest likes this.
  11. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Aug 17, 2018

Out of curiosity, how would you describe your type of school?

12. Aces

Aces Comrade

Aug 17, 2018

Our prep periods are our own. I tend to watch YouTube videos, read, grade things (if there's anything to grade), make copies, etc. I try to grade as much as I can during my prep periods so I can go home and not have to worry about it. Usually I can get the homework/Quizzes/tests done.

13. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Aug 17, 2018

Wow! I get two 45 minute plan periods per day and rarely have something to do during them. We have meetings in the mornings for those types of things. 7:05-7:35. Teachers rotate AM duty and are excused from meetings. Mondays are staff meetings, Tuesdays are department meetings, Wednesdays are professional development, Thursdays are club meetings, and Fridays they provide breakfast and coffee and encourage teachers to have social time. Only Mondays and Wednesdays are *really* required- often other meetings are just as needing.

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 17, 2018

Our contract guarantees a certain amount of plan time. Teacher NEED time to prepare. I cannot plan my lessons weeks in advance; in elementary we are constantly differentiating and planning to meet student needs.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 17, 2018

Ummm . . . not sure what you are asking, exactly.

16. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Aug 17, 2018

Everyone at my school has different prep periods and we are free to do what we want during them. I usually use my time marking, organizing, photocopying, planning, and emailing parents.

MrTempest and MrsC like this.
  17. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Aug 18, 2018

Sorry, is this school an urban or rural school? Title I? Demographics? Typically a high or underperforming school? Things of that nature

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 18, 2018

I thought that might be what you were asking, but it didn't seem to go along with the planning period discussion, which is why I asked.
    • rural
    • 70% free/reduced lunch
    • Title I district, not just school
    • 99.9% white (0.1% mixed-race hispanic or black or Asian)
    • 150-200 kids in each grade level, preK to 12
    • five schools (pre-k, early elementary, intermediate elementary, middle, and high)
    • progressing school

19. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Aug 18, 2018

My school has a collaborative planning period every single day with the math team. We do not have any time with our grade level teams which is unfortunate...mainly because my school doesn't have grade level teams. I'm hoping that the collaborative planning time will be useful. We also have 45 minutes of planning time that is ours. Math and English teachers get another 25 minutes of a "data period" which ends up being a little bit of extra planning time. Kids get out at 2:25 and teachers are contracted to stay until 2:45 every day.

20. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2018

We regularly have a grade-level team meeting once per week and a data team meeting once per week. We create our own agenda for the team meeting, and we follow admin's agenda for the data team meeting. The other three days are intended to be our own, but we are often pulled in for meetings about individual students or post-evaluation meetings or meetings with parents.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  21. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Aug 18, 2018

This schedule sounds, to be frank, incredibly stupid. What were your admin thinking? Whatever happened to just giving teachers a certain number of prep periods?

MrTempest likes this.