Free College

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by 3Sons, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Jan 24, 2015

this is a very succinct explanation as to why we should keep the government from mandating wages. for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. And the people running the businesses are much, much smarter than the ones running the government.

2. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2015

Not sure what the good intention here might be, but back to the 'free' college idea... the president is moving toward taxing 529 college savings accounts. The average amount saved in these account ts is $20 K... Punishing those who plan ahead,squirreling away money to send THEIR OWN kids to college. :(

3. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jan 24, 2015

No they aren't. They do happen to know a lot more about running a business than most in government, though.

The ones running businesses also have virtually no interest in whether their are being paid fairly. Or, for that matter in anything except making money. You're line of argument is the same one that would say we don't need food safety standards because the market would theoretically drive those selling unsafe food out of business. Free-reign capitalism is not an economic system that creates a healthy overall society.

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 24, 2015

That has been the common theme for a long time now. That is why so many have given up trying to do right. What is the point. The government will swoop in and provide. This kind of ties into the poverty discussion on the thread about US Schools being the Best. At one point it was an embarrassment to have the government step in to help. Now it is a strategy and those that do right get the short end of the stick every time to pay for the new way of living.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2015

It's also a way to make more dependent on the government....and as thankful recipients of all the 'freebies' those voters will continue to vote for those who 'provide' :|

6. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 24, 2015

The flat tax is pretty cool.

Districts & Businesses scheduling people for less hours so they don't have to provide them with hours is just a bit disgusting.

No, no they aren't. They know how to run a business. As everyone knows, a government does not run anywhere near the same as a business, as they both have completely different goals and types of financing - like it is perfectly normal and okay for a government to run on a deficit, whereas in the business world, it would result in going out of business rather quickly.

Never met anyone who didn't come from wealth that actually *had* money saved for college by their parents.

No, it is a way for the government to bring this country in line with the rest of the first world. We are practically a third world country at this rate - schools that have dismal scores versus western Europe, a healthcare system that people have to pay money in order to live, post-secondary education that none can afford without saddling themselves with decades of debt. We are not the best nation in the world and we haven't been for many decades. We're a nation whose progress has been stunted by a horrible generation of people who went "Eff you, got mine"

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2015

I don't get why people think it is perfectly okay for the government to run on a deficit. Have a budget, know how much can be spent, when it runs out, don't spend any more. Pretty simple to me. Prioritize the things that are necessary and if there is nothing left afterwards then the luxuries don't get spent on.

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 24, 2015

Funny, the greatest times in this country was when the government wasn't giving handouts and interfering in everything and people had to rely on themselves and support they got from their families, friends, and community, not the government. Some would argue it was the government interference that caused many of the problems you cite.

9. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jan 24, 2015

And when was this?

I am pretty sure you and others are picking and choosing what you define as a handout.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2015

Hmmm...I don't come from 'wealth', my parents saved.
    DH and I bought monthly savings bonds for our kids from the day each was born to help pay for college.
    Many of my friends in college and friends of my kids had some combination of savings, scholarships, work-study and loans to help pay for their college. I'm from the thought that when one works for something they actually appreciate it more.:2cents:

And third world country? Seriously? I'm so sure that's why so many immigrants flock to the US EVERY DAY...because we're 'practically a third world country' :dizzy:

And I'm not quite sure who the 'horrible generation' is? :dizzy:

11. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 24, 2015

Because that is how governments have and always will run - on a deficit. Deficit spending helps the economy.

The generation that ruined America - the baby boomers.

Must be nice to have enough income to throw around to be able to buy a savings bond every month for your child. My parents were lucky if they could buy one every five years.

So you think that if people are given free community college, they won't work at all? They still need to support their families, so they'll work at the same time, but they won't need to worry about the cost of tuition - only the comparatively minor expense of textbooks.

12. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 24, 2015

For most people this is more a matter of priorities than actual finances.

Every single person I know has the ability to put aside some money, it is very simply not their priority.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2015

My husband was in the military when my kids were born. We hardly were 'throwing money around' :mellow: $50 a month deducted from DH's pay resulted in a nice pile of $100 bonds that helped with some college expenses. I'm not sure how saving and investing in your children's future is 'throwing money around".:confused:

And as far as those horrible baby boomers? There's 75 million of us who helped grow the economy through our hard work and investment. :wow:

:thumb:

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 24, 2015

I understand the arguments on each side of the issue, but I feel the investment benefit in college educating an entire generation GREATLY outweighs the cost in taxes.

People are unhappy about taxes of any kind. But we need to sacrifice as a country to really get somewhere. More enlightenment and education is always better than less. That is one of my core principles and one reason that I became an educator.

I own a 529 plan and I'd gladly accept tax if it meant that our younger generations didn't get stuck with only a HS education, and had a chance to pull themselves out of the cycle of poverty with their education, or even just to have more enlightened ideas.

As others have said, it wouldn't be a free handout as those who are receiving the free admission would be required to maintain a minimum GPA. If this goes through our next generation could do a lot for our future. If it doesn't I fear we may stagnate as a country and fall behind other countries such as European ones that provide free education (Norway, Germany, etc.). Without the few tech giants, all we are currently is a consumer country. We no longer provide anything of great value, and the ideas will run dry once our schools stop producing educated thinkers and other countries outpace us with their thinkers.

This is just my :2cents:.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 24, 2015

The baby boomers ruined America? When was this decided?

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 24, 2015

And it is possible to get a college education without loans, grants, OR help from parents. I am proof of this.

I did have to bust my butt to pull it off.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2015

Looks like 2:10 this afternoon.

18. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 24, 2015

:yeahthat::yeahthat: I agree. My disgust and hatred for this country runs deeper than what I would ever bother to share.

But, I do think President Obama is doing great with what he has inherited; and the free college and making childcare affordable etc are good plans. However, the beginning of the end started a while ago, and after he's gone, the end will continue for this country...(poverty, racism, the wealth gap between whites and non whites has skyrocketed, predatory lending to minorities/the mortgage crisis, bank discrimination, ugh, too much to name)

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2015

To all of those who have or hate "our country" so much...what country do you aspire to be?

20. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 24, 2015

A country that respects the lives of all of its citizens, not just the white ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.