Fraction Art

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by LaurenNJ, Feb 11, 2009.

1. LaurenNJ

LaurenNJ Rookie

Feb 11, 2009

We began a new unit on fractions today: equivalent, greatest common factor, etc. Does anyone have any cute art ideas that I can incorporate fractions into? The classroom is so plain and I was to make it a little more fun looking.

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 11, 2009

How about some sort of quilt pattern project? I'm not sure just what or how, but quilt squares are perfect for geometry and fractions.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 11, 2009

Surely you don't teach GCF in kindergarten? Or is it fifth grade?

We do a geometry stained glass project. They make a pattern using certain shapes, paint with watercolors, and go over with oil to make it transparent. Very pretty in a window.

5. LaurenNJ

LaurenNJ Rookie

Feb 12, 2009

No, it is 5th grade. That may be a little too in depth. I do not have access to those kind of supplies nor do I have the time to let them do it. I could only give them about 45 minutes to complete a simple project.

6. tinadog

tinadog Rookie

Feb 13, 2009

How about the the banana split project? Using construction paper make a dish and 12 scoops of ice cream in 2 to four different flavors (tudents decide the variety and the flavors they want)

7. tinadog

tinadog Rookie

Feb 13, 2009

Then they write fractions for each kind of ice cream - strawberry 3/12 chocolate 4/12 .......... of course, they also had to reduce each fraction and make sure they add up to 12/12 =1

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 14, 2009

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 14, 2009

Trace fraction circles or rectangles, cut them out, and glue them onto construction paper to create figures or monsters. It is fun to name them, too. You may want to limit the fraction pieces selected by each student: only fractions with a common denominator, only equivalent fraction pieces, fractions with a sum of one or two in each figure, etc.

10. KrazyKay

KrazyKay Rookie

Feb 14, 2009

I've done math tutoring before. What I found worked great with some of the students I tutored (5th through 12th) with understanding fractions is using the idea of pizzas. While tutoring I drew the pizzas; however, as a teacher it might work to create the pizzas with construction paper or have the students create pizzas with the construction paper and assemble the pizzas according to fractions... like have them make a pizza with 2/8 pieces missing or 4/10 pieces are pepperoni with 6/10 pieces are plain cheese.

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Feb 16, 2009

Hi!

As an art project with fractions, my second grade (I was student teaching at the time) did a take off of Ed Emberly's Picture Pie. They each had their own quilt square - we did it on construction paper...and then pasted them onto bulletin board paper, tied yarn knots at the intersections to make it look more like a quilt, and hung it up. They did a pretty giood job at second grade - fifth would do GREAT! (at the bottom of each qulit square they had to list the fractions used. The "viewer" then would have to find all the fractions.)

Find the book Ed Emerbly's Picture Pie - get a few copies from the library for students to use as inspiration. Her is a VERY simplized video clip of the concept... this is a great project for differentiation in both math and small motor skills.

http://www.edemberley.com/pages/main.aspx?section=db (Oh - it's the middle section, click on the flim/video icon)

Enjoy!