Forced Morale

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by KinderCowgirl, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 7, 2012

So I wanted to see what you guys think of this idea-I think it's a little misguided. Our staff is in kind of a funk right now. So in an effort to boost morale and do something "fun" a plan was devised. They are mandating days where you have to wear holiday shirts with jeans and one where it's ugly Christmas sweater day. Now they are afraid people will not participate, so if anyone on your team does not comply, then no one on your team can wear jeans the rest of the year (we do casual Fridays). :rolleyes:

I want to talk to my team and see if they are going to do it. I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to hold them back (they adore their jean days), however, I do not own holiday shirts, ugly holiday sweaters or even enough pairs of jeans that I would feel comfortable wearing to school for that many days-I'd have to go buy all that. Go team! ;)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2012

This sort of thing happened all the time at my school in past years. We have a new admin now, so I'm hoping that those days are over.

I wouldn't go out of my way to participate in these sorts of things, especially if it involved going out and buying ugly sweaters. No thanks. I might throw on a red ("holiday") shirt or a regular sweater and just wish that someone would tell me that it wasn't ugly enough. :lol:

4. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Dec 7, 2012

I'm screwed. I don't keep ugly sweaters. :lol:

"Beatings will continue until morale improves!"

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2012

I just read your post to my non-teaching wife. She said your school is too far gone for any raise in morale.

Sorry.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2012

I don't have any holiday shirts, ugly Christmas sweaters, or very many pairs of jeans for school either. I also feel self conscious about wearing some of those things at school (like the ugly sweater). I could probably be convinced to wear a holiday shirt once, but not for a lot of different days! I think it's ridiculous that they're threatening to take away your jean days for this.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 7, 2012

That is awful! We sometimes have optional extra jeans days with a Christmas shirt, but they always add that a red or green shirt works just as well. I don't have enough school jeans to make it through a week of jeans when we have them, I usually wash them and wear them again and I'm sure everone else does too. Maybe you could borrow an ugly sweater from someone, ugly sweater parties are popular. If you are interested in getting some holiday shirts, Target and Kohl's have some for $5-8, but I hate that you would have to buy them when you normally wouldn't.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 7, 2012

Oh, and I just remembered this from some of the ugly sweater parties from years past - you can pin or hot glue some soft ornaments to a sweater or sweatshirt if you want to.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2012

They tried this sort of thing where I work and no one did it. Morale is very low. I wish I could change it for everyone, but telling people what to wear is not the answer.

10. PolarBear

PolarBear Rookie

Dec 7, 2012

Every day is jeans day out here. Welcome to the West Coast.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Dec 7, 2012

I don't see how that's going to boost morale: make teachers do something they might not want to, possibly have to spend $$ and if they don't, something is taken away. ??

Can't they change it to something less forced but still holidayish? For example wear a holiday shirt / sweater, or at least the certain colors (red, green, or even gold?) and extra bonus for an ugly sweatshirt?
    I happen to have a red and green sweater; if I didn't, I could see myself by a red sweater, because I would probably wear it here and there after, but I would never wear an ugly holiday sweater, let alone buy one...

12. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 7, 2012

That's ridiculous. I don't own an "ugly christmas sweater" either. My admin keeps putting on "fun events" after school/weekends and then getting upset that no one shows up. We don't want to deal with the stress of work outside of the school day. The holiday party was tonight and my entire team didn't go...I'm sure we'll be hearing about that later. This is even worse though...what are these people thinking?

13. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 7, 2012

I hate mandatory "fun" things like that, especially when there's the potential of spending $. I always joke that I'm not going to participate in stupid things, but I'm too chicken not to, lol. I usually do the bare minimum, enough to say that I did it, that way I still kind of feel like a rebel. :lol:

Beth

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

Dec 8, 2012

I'm a firm believer in staff activities that anyone can participate in if they want to and that don't require too much effort.

We have a cookie exchange that I am participating in, because I like cooking, and a weird quirky gift exchange that I am opting out of because it involves finding out about a person and tailoring custom made gifts, one for each day that has to meet a theme, and as these things often go, it's expected to be humorous.

I can't do forced planned humor. It's not my thing, and these kinds of events always go south for me (I spelt someone's last name wrong last year, and she wasn't even supposed to be in the event anyway).

If you force everyone to do it, it defeats the purpose of fostering good morale.

If you plan the events those who want to participate will, and those who don't will feel comfortable.

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 8, 2012

Seems like a goofy idea to me.
    But, our staff would come unglued if we lost our once a week jeans day!

16. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Dec 8, 2012

I'm participating in one of these, but it's for our dept only. We filled out a 1/4 page form (hobby, collections, favorite drink, etc). It's among friends and was suggested by one of our own ... and it's voluntary. These are the ingredients needed to keep it fun, imo.

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 8, 2012

That's a good idea Tasha-thanks!

I'm glad it's not just me! ;) I know my staff and I know this is going to cause so many extra grumblings. Ugh.

We do an Elf Exchange (like Secret Santa)-only 7 of our 60+ staff opted to participate and many who did are paras and cafeteria staff. :( That is also voluntary, but our numbers have never been that low before. We have our Christmas party next week...we'll see. I'm not going to go, just because it's after school and just too far away; I'd get home too late-my puppy needs to go out.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2012

Morale suppression committee plan this?

19. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Dec 8, 2012

I'm waiting for next weeks memo from your principal which begins with a new requirement of mandatory smiling for all teachers. I guess some people don't get it.

If this is a private school, then I'd just put up with it with only the bare minimum of compliance. If it is a public or charter school then what he is asking is unconstitutional, and I'd get a group of teachers together to fight it.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2012

There's no way to raise the morale by forcing them to do those things. Sorry you guys are going through that. They should try a more positive approach.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 8, 2012

This is horrible. I remember when we were strongly encouraged to participate in Talk Like a Pirate Day and dress up. Ugh. Makes you hate everybody even more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.