Foods you liked when you were pregnant due to hormones changing..

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jun 19, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 19, 2011

I found out today that my brother and his wife are expecting a baby! This is the first baby in my family of origin! I am excited to have a baby nearby to adore! :wub:
    She is a nutritionist so that should help her come up with ideas but I thought I'd ask on here since this is her first baby and I'm not a mom yet either to give much advice yet!

What did you eat when you were feeling nauseous so that you would get your nutrients?

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 19, 2011

I actually didn't crave anything in particular, I was just more picky about my food in general. Like if I had brought something for lunch to work and I ended up not being in the mood for it, I couldn't make myself eat it. I'd go out and buy something I was in the mood for that day. But that could have been anything from pizza to a spinach salad.

Congrats on finding out you'll be an aunt!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2011

The sight and smell of raw meat made me nauseous...I've since become a vegetarian....loved cold crisp salads...and Twix bars.:lol:

5. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 19, 2011

All my "cravings" were for "junk food" Everytime I was at the mall I had to have egg rolls and corn dogs. ALso peanut buster parfaits and iced coffee.

My biggest suggestion is to just find things she likes and realize that what was good one day might be just gross to even think about the next.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2011

The smell of coffee of any type, particularly hazlenut, drove me directly to the bathroom to get sick. Any sort of strong smell was a problem.

To be honest, the food I ate most early on was saltines, for morning sickness.

I had no particular cravings.

7. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Jun 19, 2011

I was into Fruitopa-a fruity beverage and Milky Way Dark (I ate one a day... little realizing that I was getting my caffiene fix thru chocolate.):cool:

8. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 19, 2011

I couldn't stand milk. I couldn't even smell it. Even eating ice cream was tough.

9. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 19, 2011

Im thinking meal ideas amd snacks that may be appealing. ...she said she today she hasnt haf mich of an appetite and is nauseous...she is otherwise a healthy person so just curious since Im not a mom yet. :)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2011

Hit Babies R Us (or possibly your local CVS) and get some Preggie Pops. They're supposed to help with morning sickness.

And get her some saltines.

To be honest, my first trimesters were just something I had to get through. I never gained a whole lot of weight while pregnant-- 21 pounds both times. Maybe her metabolism is simply like mine.

11. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 19, 2011

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 19, 2011

Preggie Pops were the best.

I had a craving for the salads at Olive Garden.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2011

They weren't around when I was pregnant. But they helped my friend through her recent Chemo treatments.

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2011

Besides junk food....celery was better for me than saltines because they were don't taste like much but are moist and don't dry out the mouth as much as saltines. I also liked watermelon. I craved beer (and I am not a beer drinker) so the doctor suggested the non-alcoholic beer. He said beer is high in minerals and my body must have been craving them.

15. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 19, 2011

I craved pickles with everything! Some health food stores sell ginger candy--those really helped with the nausea.

16. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jun 19, 2011

Tamales were my biggest craving. Never had them before the pregnancy but still enjoy them now.

My biggest turn-off that sent me straight to the restroom was the smell of steamed milk at the bookstore. UGHH!

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 19, 2011

I gave them to my late husband during his as well. I always recommend them to chemo patients.

18. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2011

When I was pregnant with my oldest son I craved bananas. With my youngest daughter I craved chocolate, tuna fish and instant mashed potatoes. No not all together.

19. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 19, 2011

I lived off of saltines and peanut butter for protein during 1st trimester. Slowly added fruit...and that became constant craving.

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 20, 2011

With my daughters, I positively needed pancakes. Ok, really it was maple syrup, the pancakes just served as a vehicle for delivering the maple syrup since I thought it rude to just drink it from the bottle. And both before, and now after, I really hate pancakes. With my son, just last year, it was Hot Tamales. The extra spicy kind. But really, other than those two weird things, I truly craved healthy food. I lost weight with all three of my pregnancies.

21. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 20, 2011

Yay! Thanks, I have been waiting awhile to have a local baby relative!!!