Following Directions/Listening Skills

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Love to Teach, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Oct 11, 2010

My class is really struggling with following directions and listening in general. Help! AND, it seems to be rampant up and down the elementary hallway. :)

Anyone else seeing an increase in problems with following directions and listening skills? Any insights into how to help these students....and their teachers?!! :)

3. fedfanforever11

fedfanforever11 Rookie

Oct 11, 2010

My old teacher used to count the seconds that we weren't following directions and make us sit quietly for that many seconds during our recess or snack time. It worked pretty well.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 11, 2010

For paying attention, you may want to try a change of your approach. Shake things up a bit. Get the students moving. Lets say you are doing division, have four kids in front of the class, four divided by two is two. Things like that.

Use manipulatives if you don't already. Find a way to auditorily and visually engage.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2010

Try class/yes and teach/okay from Whole Brain Teaching.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 11, 2010

I thought for sure with that title you taught K so I had a whole bag of tricks. Won't quite work for you. Lol.

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 11, 2010

I think it is also important to talk to the previous grades about behavior management. When I pop into first grade classrooms, I realize that the expectations of the first grade teachers are very different from our second grade classrooms. So it's really tough for the kids to transition into second. I think that if you are concerned with an increase in this problem, it would be worth looking at as a whole staff.