Fluency

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by 1234, Jan 15, 2011.

1. 1234

1234 Rookie

Jan 15, 2011

I want to go over fluency. Any pages to use?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

Readers' Theater or a Poetry Cafe

Try reading a story or poem to the child with no fluency and then read the same story with fluency and expression. Ask the children which story the prefer and why. Be sure not to show them the cover or the pictures while reading until the end.

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 16, 2011

For fluency, having the students reread is one of the most effective things that you can do.

I also have a cute fluency station from Lakeshore that has a spinner with different emotions. They spin it and then read it "sad" or "surprised". I also like to videotape the kids reading, we put it on the smartboard and talk about what we could do to make it more interesting.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2011

I love the idea of giving the emotion to read something with, it would be very interesting to hear!

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 16, 2011

Here is the link to the station from Lakeshore:
    Classroom fluency station

The kids love it (especially if I videotape them using it). After I demonstrated it at a staff meeting, we had about three other classrooms order it. One thing that I want to emphasize is that you can make almost everything in this kit instead of buying it (I was lucky enough to get mine through donorschoose.org). My kids also love the microphone for the interviews. I found some plastic ones at the dollar tree 6 for $1 (I think they were Rock band party favors). They will run around reading anything in the room with the microphone, acting like they are performing!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2011

Awww! How very cute!

8. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jan 17, 2011

That fluency station is adorable!

My fluency practice is much more boring-- students read a science or social studies-related passage to me on Monday and I time them and we graph words correct per minute. They practice throughout the week and time them again on Friday, and see how much they improved. I really need to train them to time themselves! as it takes up a good chunk of my time. But I guess they would not know if they got words incorrect. I wish I had an aide that could help with it.

9. cateste

cateste Companion

Jan 17, 2011

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 17, 2011

anything works!
    Phrases taken out of books and such are useful too.

11. 1234

1234 Rookie

Jan 18, 2011

Thanks.

Any charts that show how many word per minute a third grader should be reading at?

12. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 18, 2011

I have a couple charts at school, but we have a snow day today.

I know that my second graders are supposed to be at 82 WPM at the end of the month. However, it can vary greatly depending on what resource you get your chart from!

13. tnv

tnv Rookie

Apr 13, 2011

Try Flash Fluency 10 -10 - 10. It's set up in different levels for different abilities and it's free. I teacher upper grades and my "big" kids love it and at the same time they are improving their fluency and exposure to some key academic terms.

tnv

14. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Apr 25, 2011

I've been using FF

I've been using flash fluency with my kids. So far, very fun. The management isn't very bad at all, but I do see some areas that I can change for next year. I like the words on the lists and how kids can move at their own pace. Very very motivating for my kids so far....I highly reccomend it.:thumb: