Florida Vacation ...Ideas

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by akbeck98, Jul 15, 2007.

1. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Jul 15, 2007

Hello!

I'm driving down to Florida the week of August 11th to St. George Island which is about 2 hours from Tallahassee. We rented a house thats just off the beach and will have pool. I know we will have enough to do but just swimming and lounging, but I want to see some things too!

What is there to do near this area? What is a must do when in Florida? I wouldn't mind traveling a few hours away to find things to do.

Thanks in advance!
    Amanda

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 15, 2007

I don't know of anything. Just posting to bring this back to the top for you.

4. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

If you're interested in an "outdoorsy" type of an experience in Florida, the springs are awesome here. It's also very inexpensive...between $5-12 for admission, and then around $6 or so to rent a tube.
    They may be a bit far from where you will be staying though (I mapquested roughly 4 hours :wow: ).

Both springs I've listed are optimal if you're looking for a day of relaxation as you float down a natural "lazy river". The water is gorgeous! You can also see all sorts of wildlife (turtles, birds, etc).

Check out these links:
    http://www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com/
    Ginnie Springs is a shorter float, but you can always go down more than one time. There are campgrounds and BBQ grills everywhere. My fiance and I took our families here when they came up for our college graduation. They had a blast. The only downside was that there were a bunch of people on the river...it wasn't quite as tranquil as I expected from my last experience at Ginnie Springs.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/ichetuckneesprings/
    Ichetucknee Springs is a little longer, you can float down the river for 2 hours if I remember correctly. I probably only saw 2 other groups of people on the river when I went last time...so it's a little more low-key. You park at the bottom of the river, and a shuttle drives you up to the top (which is a definite perk!:) ). There are also BBQ grills and volleyball courts.

If you need more info, PM me.

5. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Jul 16, 2007

Thanks for all the great info! I'm off to check that out! We are going with my parents, my siblings, my husband, and my newphew so it should be a trip we might make out that way for the day!

Thanks!

6. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

Awesome! Hope you have fun on your vacation. :)

7. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

Be sure to bring a warm jacket

Other than the beach and the springs, outdoor activities are not that great in the daytime. You'll probably want to be indoors most of the time. Make sure you have a jacket. They turn the air temp way down. You'll swear that Florida is the coldest state in the nation.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  8. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 20, 2007

Be sure to go crabbing at night on the beach. My kiddos love it!
    We leave tomorrow for the beach and they have their nets, flashlight and bucket ready. :)